Friday, February 16, 2007

The Power of Music

Although I wrote about my obsession with the camera, I do have other interests, one of which is music. I'm not one of those baby boomers that cling to their old high school music; I listen to a few oldies, but only a very few. Yesterday afternoon while preparing dinner, I had my Itunes blasting from the other room to keep me company. I was listening to the new Tracy Thorne CD, Out of the Woods. I guess I was feeling funky because instead of enjoying the music as much as I might, I began to muse on the fact that when I was first introduced to her via a young hip co-worker, I was a fairly young mother. I guess it must have been about twenty years ago--my sons would have been 10, 7, 7, and 3. You might be more familiar with her as the singer of Everything but the Girl. She was a fancy-free young woman at the time; the music they played however, was full of emotion and wisdom. I am always struck by some of the lyrics young songwriters produce--there's were no exception. I believe they may have been an early indie band. Anyway, our roles are reversed--she is now a young mother, and I am the one who is pretty much fancy-free. I know that term dates me, but I am 53 after all.

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety