Friday, March 30, 2007

Little Cokes

You will be happy to know that I am over feeling sorry for myself--no whining today! Last night I thought to myself, God has a reason for this time in my life, and really, it's his to do with as He chooses, so I'm going to try my best to think positive, and be grateful for all of the blessings I have--of which there are too many to count.

You would think I couldn't take a decent picture with some I post on this blog. I have no idea why this downloaded sideways, but you'll see why I left it in a minute.

My mom used to love these little Cokes, so I will always think of her when I have one. She loved to put them in the freezer getting them nice and cold, sometimes even icy. If you are old enough you will remember when the only way to get a Coke out of a machine was in a bottle. You'll also remember how some people liked to put salted peanuts in their bottle and drink and chew at the same time. This was of course before it was a crime to drink Coca-Cola.

When I saw Dr. Everett yesterday, he said he didn't mind telling me now that when he first met me he thought I had a fatal disease; in other words, I have surprised him.Those are sobering words. I guess that is why I am embracing this little business venture, and not feeling embarrassed that there are others who are better than I am-- I'm good enough for some folks. I'm pretty happy with what I have done, and I'm hoping I'll only get better with time.

I know I should not gripe about this, but don't you think lunch is a hard meal to fix when you are home alone? I find it much more difficult than breakfast or dinner. If I make tuna or egg salad, I have to eat it every day for like a week. My default lunch is peanut butter and jelly. I wonder how many other 50 somethings eat pb&j, or at least, how many will admit it. This really sounds pretty silly for a woman who used to fix lunch for six, day in and day out, but as they say, it's all in what you get used to.

Our newspaper is driving me crazy these days. It is getting more tabloidish (is that a word?)every day. Yesterday's front page carried this story on about 1/3 of the cover, HOMELESS MAN: BOYS BEAT ME, it had separate headings--(all caps), The attack, the suspects, the victim. The story began...dabbed a tissue to sop up blood seeping.... Don't get me wrong, I'm not for homeless people getting beat up, I just don't think it deserves front page coverage with all the bigger stories out there. We are treated to this kind of fare daily and I for one wish they would stop. I heard a story on NPR about a big study they did on declining newspaper readership. The best thing a newspaper can do, according to this report, is to have compelling content. I wish our editors thought that way.

2 comments:

Leebe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leebe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

A Low Level of Anxiety