Sunday, May 6, 2007

Love Bug Season

If you are from Florida you know the bugs covering this bloom. If not, they are love bugs. Their life span is typically a day, and they stay coupled all the time, thus the name. Usually they die on impact with your windshield; it sounds callous but their remains are a real nuisance. Fortunately the season is fairly short-lived.

Props to my sister Lisa who completed a 15K run yesterday at Animal Kingdom. Her dearest friend talked her into it and she trained with a vengeance. It was her first, and perhaps only time running something this long, yet she finished in the middle of the pack--quite an achievement.

I guess my adventures got the best of me as today was definitely a down day. I amused myself with flickr, and finished the book. I cannot recommend it highly enough. The Book Thief is written by an Australian man for young people, but this old person loved it. It is a very unusual story narrated by death about a German girl and her world during WWII. The power of words is what it all boils down too. Very moving as I was sobbing at the end. That, in itself, always speaks highly of an artistic work, wouldn't you say?

Now everyone knows why Bruce had to be gone for a week because they had an official press release yesterday morning. Darden has closed the Smokey Bones chain, and in particular, 56 restaurants on Saturday. Bruce had to go to Bangor, Maine to close that one. It is terribly sad as each restaurant employs 150 people; in some smaller markets jobs are hard to come by. As well, Darden typically has the best benefits for servers in the industry. Bruce is perfectly suited to the logistics of the project, however, the soul of the project is quite a challenge for him.

We finally had some serious rain, the first in at least a month, hallelujah. Wouldn't you know it, the sprinklers ran this morning. Maybe tomorrow I will be a chipper girl again and ready for more motoring--we'll see, won't we?
.

1 comment:

jpeckmeister said...

I told you that you would love that book!

Jessie and I have been watching a 6-8 gator troll in the lake. Now it's off to mow the grass. I kept my contacts in so I can see the gator.

Oh, a pileated woodpecker keeps knocking the window of the stairwell; I think he thinks that the green walls are a tree.

The picture of the library is gorgeous. Thanks.

Oh, I'm teaching a section of AP Lit next year and one of the books is The Kite Runner, another fabulous book.

Barb at school told me that Barbara Kingsolver has a new book out, just an FYI.

Back at the Homestead