Skip to main content

The Price of Gas Keeps on Rising

I'm losing track of the days with no one here, and no obligations--Tuesday, right? This picture is for Judy, she recommended I photograph the downtown library; I had beat her to the punch. It is one of our favorite places, and this was taken a few weeks ago from the vantage of the outdoor dining at another favorite--Tijuana Flats. I went to the library this morning and picked up a few DVDs and books. It brought back to mind that the library was one of the first places I ever took the twins. When they were babies you weren't allowed to take them out in public for six weeks--imagine being 25 with three children, and homebound!!! At any rate, I remember the librarians as being very helpful with Matthew. He was a go-getter then, and still is.

Speaking of Matt, he called yesterday and gave me some camera tips for shooting at the beach. That was my field trip for yesterday--a drive to Cocoa Beach. That in turn brought back other old memories of me taking the boys there, and being scared to drive over the necessary bridges. It invariably rained adding dramatically to my anxiety on the trip home. I'm sure, much to their chagrin, I sang Sunday School songs to get me over the hump--literally, and figuratively!

Matt was off for May Day--he tells me it is huge in Europe. As well, he told me that the workweek is 35 hours, and there are 25 mandated vacation days. Did I already tell you this? Imagine that!

The weather was chilly, and windy, so there were very few people braving it. In Florida there is considerable debate regarding which coast is superior. This much I can say, the Gulf is much prettier, but the waves of the Atlantic make for a more interesting day at the beach for me. I love to body surf riding the waves to shore. It's not much fun when you get tumbled around in the sand, but you take the good with the bad. Hopefully that will be part of my summer this year.

On my drive home I saw a shop called Nellie's Hair Shack. Now why would a person use "Shack" in their business name, pray tell. I know it worked well for the B52s as Love Shack is one of the most played songs ever, but for me, unless it is a bar-b-que place, it just doesn't work. I mean really, can a person expect a hair salon to succeed with a name like that? Nellie's family, or friends, should have stopped her when she came up with that one.

Something in Sunday's paper caught my eye and may interest you as well. They are conducting a "Popcorn and Chips Appetite Study" here in Orlando, and if you qualify you will receive $250 for your participation. Need I say more?

Lastly, I got a call yesterday afternoon from an old acquaintance about the death of another young man--he was 21. It appears it may have been a drug overdose, and my heart is heavy for his parents. I looked up the obituary in the paper, and it only listed his mom, and dad, and two brothers as survivors. With our large family that seems so sad to me--only the five of them. One thing about being apart of a huge clan is that it is always someones birthday, anniversary, graduation, and so on. I am notoriously late with cards, and I'm publicly apologizing for being late with Carol's card. She is 18 months younger than me; her birthday is the 10th. Next week is Bruce's -- it is on Friday! Oh me, the gift-giving conundrum.

The title for today's entry is from a song by Bloc Party, the next line is "nothing comes for free."
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodies of Water

Raise your hand if you think you can identify the location of this lovely scene? Before our excursion on Saturday, I certainly would have kept my arm straight by my side because I would have had no clue. This is the park on the shores of East Lake Tohopekaliga in downtown St. Cloud, Florida. I've included Florida because there is a town named the same in Minnesota, not far from a restaurant Bruce built, and there might just be someone from Minnesota that comes across this blog and thinks, that's not my town! 
At any rate, Bruce's superintendent in Plano is doing a fabulous job which means Mr. Peck is not having to kill himself, performing as both Project Manager, and the field Super. It's about time that he got a bit of a break, so when I asked him if he was up for a Saturday excursion to St. Cloud, he agreed. Both of us have driven by the exit to this little town on countless occasions, but never had either of us actually been there before. 28 miles from Orlando, it i…

And Just Like That....

another weekend has arrived! My, how the time flies when you are old. The date for our move to Vancouver in early July just keeps getting closer and closer! In the meantime, we are staying busy.

Matt and Tom have an anniversary coming up, yes, it has been three years already at the end of the month. You will not be surprised that I made a quilt to honor the occasion which I sent a week or so ago, thinking it would take some time. You never really know. In this instance it took only one week and since I sent it to Matt's workplace, he opened it right up and sent me a text to say he loved it! That was a relief because it is a little different than some quilts I've made. When I had only the top pieced Bruce was a little skeptical of the end result, however, after the addition of spiral quilting, and ORANGE binding, he was a convert!
For a touch of whimsy, I used a fabric with drawn kitty cats for Tom. The beginning of the spiral is somewhat sketchy, but I did the best that I coul…

A Haircut, a House for Sale, and Fathers Day Too

Remember that big-haired blogger from the last post? She is now a sleek bobbed blogger thanks to Monica's expert work on Friday afternoon.
I can assure you, I was not able to style it perfectly this morning, however, I was not too far off, which is a huge relief. Seriously, every time I tell her I'm never going to make it happen, and most times I'm right, but she explained it is all in the cut this time. Speaking of cut, claiming it is more hair than she has on her head, Monica insisted I photograph this mass of hair, including a large amount of from using the thinning shears. Merely genetics, I have some gray hair, but not much, but it sure shows up in this pile, doesn't it?
Gray hair is so weirdly stiff and unruly, or at least that is how it is on my head! Folks with thin hair wish they had more, and thick haired folks like myself wish I had less!

Woo hoo, ceilings done, along with most of the paint. Most, because they have to return for the baseboards once Scott fin…