Tuesday, July 10, 2007

This is Florida

Big beautiful clouds, brilliant blue sky, palms, and of course, cool, refreshing water.

I was picking up my prints from Costco and wondered what I could photograph in the vicinity. Tupperware headquarters came to mind, and here you see their beautiful fountain in the front of the building. Somehow I missed the news that they had sold their auditorium and it is now an arts school for Osceola county. At any rate, their headquarters are located about 15 miles from downtown Orlando. And speaking of Tupperware, it is the only thing I've ever sold in my life. The truth of the matter is that I wasn't very good. When we moved to California I signed up so that I could be home with Mattie in the day time. Part of the problem was that I knew only Bruce's parents and to be successful you have to have a network of people to start with. I do have an adorable picture of Matthew climbing on a chair--presumably to knock down my Tupperware display!

So, now I'm selling photographs--at least this time I have a huge network of people. It is funny how there have been people we know come down to the market that have no idea what I'm doing; occasionally they buy something. I hope they are pleasantly surprised by my stuff.

I picked up the prints so quickly because I wanted to put those 4 X 6's in my little portfolio book and take it to that bistro. Well, great news. He liked some of the stuff, and I said I could have it to him within the week!! Now I'll need to order two more enlargements, get the frames, mats, etc. and we're get to go. Here's the deal--they take no commission so if I were lucky enough to sell either one, the profit would be ours! It seems as if I can't go wrong on this deal. They plan to expand the restaurant soon. They only want pictures of Winter Park for that space--I'll have to take that under consideration.

Jonathan is leaving for Chicago in two days to apartment hunt. He now has some employment contacts as well. I can hardly believe he is doing this as he was the absolute shyest young man you could imagine. I used to wonder how he could be my child as I'll talk to just about anybody. Let's hope he can find something reasonable and that someone will rent to him even though he has no job. He may have been shy but he's always been a brain. I'm sure it will serve him well.

2 comments:

Amaya said...

Congrats on the restaurant prints! That's very exciting. Seems that selling something is much easier when you're passionate about it, huh?

e said...

Man, today it's a bright 90 degrees in sunny LA, that fountain looks delicious.

A Week Ago Tuesday