Friday, August 10, 2007

Flickr Will Have to Do

I still can't figure out what the problem is--when I try and upload a photo it says it's taking my whole library which I feel pretty confident you are not interested in.

Because the computer transfer went so smoothly I was able to read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini most of yesterday afternoon out in the pool. I know you feel sorry for me don't you? Have you read "The Kite Runner" by the same author? It is a real eye-opener into life in Afghanistan which I read about three years ago, and true to my nature, I talked about ten people into reading it. He is a fantastic storyteller. So, the point of all this is--

When we feel like complaining about our government--what they do, and do not do--consider the rules the Taliban enacted:

All citizens must pray five times a day. If it is prayer time and you are caught doing something other, you will be beaten.

All men will grow their beards. The correct length is at least one clenched fist beneath the chin. If you do not abide by this, you will be beaten.

Singing is forbidden.

Dancing is forbidden.

Playing cards, playing chess, gambling, and kite flying are forbidden.

Writing books, watching films, and painting pictures are forbidden.

If you keep parakettes, you will be beaten. Your birds will be killed.

If you steal, your hand will be cut off at the wrist. If you steal again, your foot will be cut off.

If you are not Muslim, do not worship where you can be seen by Muslims. If you do, you will be beaten and imprisoned. If you are caught trying to convert a Muslim to your faith, you will be executed.

Attention women:

You will stay inside your homes at all times. It is not proper for women to wander aimlessly about the streets. If you go outside, you must be accompanied by a male relative. If you are caught alone on the street, you will be beaten and sent home.

You will not, under any circumstance, show your face. you will cover with burqa when outside. If you do not, you will be severely beaten.

Cosmetics are forbidden.

Jewelry is forbidden.

you will not wear charming clothes.

You will not speak unless spoken to.

You will not make eye contact with men.

You will not laugh in public. If you do, you will be beaten.

You will not paint your nails. If you do, you will lose a finger.

Girls are forbidden from attending school. All schools for girls will be closed immediately.

Women are forbidden from working.

If you are found guilty of adultery, you will be stoned to death.

Listen. Listen well. Obey.

How in the world people obeyed those laws is beyond me, and yet they had to as a matter of life and death. My heart breaks to think of survival under those conditions. The latest book is a story of women. At one point one of the heroines has a C-section with no anethesia because all medications were reserved for men.

And to think that they are staging a resurgence.

I leave you to ponder this while I go paint my toenails.

2 comments:

e said...

It boggles the mind, doesn't it? I'm not sure the Dark Ages were this intolerant. In fact, I'm certain they were not. It's almost unbelievable that these people are actually human beings.

Amaya said...

I often wonder why I have anxiety when my life comes nowhere close to that. The thought of being forced to stay inside would make me crawl the walls. And not laughing in public? I once had a boss who told me to stop laughing because it was 'lowering team morale'. I told him to fuck off and continued to laugh whenever I felt it necessary.

A Week Ago Tuesday