Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I'm Over It


Forgive me for sounding like a baby--I went out and took some pictures--when you see scenery like this close to home it melts your troubles away.

I didn't tell you that I watched the film a week ago and read the ten pages online to answer that question on Saturday afternoon. Needless to say, I remembered little of the stupid article.

After an hour taking pictures I stopped by the grocery store for a few things. As I was pulling out of my parking space I saw two women with a child in a stroller. One of the women was in a wheelchair--the blanket covering her feet no longer did so. She had malformed swollen feet; now she has something to complain about. It reminded me of one of my former patients who only wanted me every time. Trouble is she has spina bifida and is in a wheelchair only about three feet off the ground. Compounding the problem for the mammographer is that her breasts are the size of small watermelons. In addition, she had a very tiny cancer which necessitated her coming back every six months for three years. Yours truly used to have to get down on my knees, hoist the giant breast onto the plate while working the best I could around the wheelchair--now that was difficult. Imagine being in her seat--she'd had 34 surgeries, as I recall she was like 37 years old.

So, the whining has stopped on this end. Off to class to take the midterm--that means I'm half way there doesn't it?

2 comments:

Amaya said...

Wow. Isn't it always true that someone has it worse? I like that story about how a group of people are told they can trade problems with each other but after hearing their options, they all choose to keep their own.

e said...

It is true that it can always be worse. But if you never complain just because someone out there has it worse, then you can never ever complain unless you are the one person on the planet who has it worst off. I think it's ok to complain when that's what there for you to say. You don't have to be stuck in that, or think you're in the worst situation possible. I think it's ok to acknowledge when you don't feel well or sick.

Besides, you don't strike me as a complainer, you're never a victim. You just say what's happening with you, and I for one would prefer that you keep sharing authentically than not.

In short, if you want to complain, do it; and if you don't want to, even if you don't feel good, then don't. However you are is perfect.

A Low Level of Anxiety