Thursday, October 4, 2007

Sparkle


I managed to do my presentation last night in film class. You would think that would be an easy class but the professor is tough. He is in charge of Brain Bowl which is a team of students from Valencia that compete in National smart championships. That is a crazy description but I will tell you that they have won the Nationals against huge prestigious schools. So now you understand. I got points taken off for going a little too long yet he wrote on my outline I could have developed ideas more fully. Go figure!
I practiced at school before class with a few classmates and we thought I was good to go but..oh well.

I left the house at 3:30 to meet with a restaurant manager about displaying a gingerbread house at the museum in December. After that I had time to kill so I walked along the street with camera in tow. I went into another little bistro/gourmet shop and I ran into one of my former classmates. She is now one of the managers there and she also took the info. The life of an intern... This photo is from the latter. I think when you are a young person who has an older student in their class they tend to remember you. It probably doesn't hurt that I'm just a tad outspoken in class, do you suppose?

I am afraid it is going to rain on my parade so to speak. It has already rained this morning and the humidity is enough to make a person crazy. It is NOT supposed to rain like this in October. It is hot in Florida from May to October, the exact opposite of the north where it is cold from October to May. I am so hoping the rain will go away by Saturday.

The hand in question from yesterday is one of the museum's largest sculptures. Mr. Polasek made it in 1914, and it was installed outside the Art Institute of Chicago in 1916. People expressed outrage over the huge male nude, asking for it's removal from public view. Consequently, it became even more famous. He was the head of the sculpture department at the Art Institute for thirty years. He retired to Winter Park and began building the house and studio in the early 1960's. Shortly thereafter he suffered a stroke and one side of his body was totally paralyzed. He did go on to sculpt again after a number of years completing many works into his 80's.

School work today--yeah Bruce gets home early today. I've bought some black fabric for new cloths for the display tables; I have not touched my sewing machine in years--let's hope I remember how to thread it.

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety