Wednesday, December 26, 2007

It May Be a Year


It's all quiet around here now. Matthew is boarding his plane to New York where he will wait for several hours for his flight to London arriving around 6AM. It's not that Matt is particularly loud, but he does make his presence known. For one thing, he loves to eat. I successfully made some vegan dishes that worked during his visit. One was terrible, however he didn't complain. It is hard to imagine that it might be a year until he comes back to Orlando, but as of now that is the plan. Dave and Michelle have set the wedding date for November 22 which he will naturally be here to celebrate.

I am pretty sad right now about the prospect but I must buck up accepting that children grow up with lives of their own which may, or may not, include their parents. After we left the airport Bruce and I fought back tears thinking of him so far away.

On a happier note Christmas worked even if it was unconventional. Bruce did all the wrapping which is just as well because he is so much better than I am. I baked no cookies, a first for me in all my married life, and the cards did not go out until a few days before Christmas. Bruce received a smoked turkey from a contractor and a gift certificate for Honey Baked ham. Here's what I served with it:

Relish tray
Hummus with flat bread (to me the flat bread tasted like cardboard)
Mixed nuts
Potato salad
Tabbouleh
Lentil loaf with brown rice and bar-b-que sauce
Spinach salad with dried cranberries, almonds, and a fantastic poppy seed and sesame seed dressing
Green beans with lemon zest
Rolls and biscuits
Fruit salad with blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, orange and toasted coconut
Bought Christmas cookies and Marie Callendar's apple pie (I mention the brand because it is terrific)

Bill and Leanne brought some pink champagne to start the party!

We missed three of our sisters this Christmas.

All in all the festivities were different for our family, but the reality is that it was very enjoyable and maybe a lesson in change. Either embrace it or become depressed--I suppose you know which route I'm taking.

----------------
Now playing: Hot Chip - Over and Over
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Amaya said...

Remember, it's hard for us kids to be so far away too. And hey, now that you're done with school - maybe there's a trip to the UK in your future?
Sounds like quite a spread. How was the lentil loaf? Was that the disaster or one of the surprisingly good vegan dishes?

A Week Ago Tuesday