Monday, January 14, 2008

Let's Play Catch Up


Yesterday on our way home from the market in the driving rain we saw the Story Corps trailer in front of the library. The minute it quit (really, after we unloaded), I zoomed back downtown in the MINI to get this shot. I figured it might never be in Orlando again, in other words, a part of history. I wish I had scheduled an appointment to participate, that is, if I could get anyone else to do it with me. Maureen said NO WAY! Speaking of her, she is improved, but still not up to par. No word for sure on the outcome of her car.

If you are unfamiliar with Story Corp, it is a project begun about five years ago. Based on the concept that everyone has a compelling story to tell, in NYC's Grand Central Station a booth was set up to record one person interviewing another. These are non-professional interviews, typically, they are two family members. Our public radio station plays the stories on Fridays--I've heard some remarkable stories. Blogs like mine are a one sided thing--I tell my story, you read; on occasion, I hope I have something interesting to say. That said, nothing beats the conversation/interview style with immediate feedback.

Continuing the story theme, months ago I noticed a photo contest for the literary magazine at school. I submitted a photo I call, Every Picture Tells a Storyy (I know what you are thinking--not very creative Gail)--stick with me here please. You may have seen it in the past--a b&w image of a bird on a dead tree trunk. Nothing much really, but sorta moody and open to interpretation, thus the name. At any rate, I just received an e-mail with a proposal to use the image. How about that?

I'm working on getting into some art shows as well as on stock photography sites. All of it is more time consuming than you can imagine.

Lastly, I'm wondering if we will all be diagnosed with attention deficit disorder before it's all over. While ironing this afternoon with my iPod on, I heard Paul Simon singing "Slip Sliding Away". The melody is compelling, the lyrics are pregnant with meaning, particularly as one ages. Unfortunately, the moment it was over a fun pop song came on. An introspective moment lost, something else to claim my attention. Similarly, we see two movies in a row, read the paper while eating, blog with music and e-mail popping up, you understand--multitask. A buzz word for the 21st century, however, I've got to wonder how good it is for anyone.

----------------
Now playing: Basement Jaxx - Jus 1 Kiss
via FoxyTunes

3 comments:

jpeckmeister said...

The Mississippi Delta was shining
Like a National guitar,
I am following the river
Down the highway
Through the cradle of the civil war,

I'm going to Graceland
Graceland
In Memphis Tennessee
I'm going to Graceland,

Poorboys and Pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland,
My traveling companion is nine years old
He is the child of my first marriage,
But I've reason to believe
We both will be received
In Graceland,

She comes back to tell me she's gone,
As if I didn't know that
As if I didn't know my own bed,
As if I'd never noticed,
The way she brushed her hair from her forehead,
And she said losing love
Is like a window in your heart,
Everybody sees you're blown apart,
Everybody sees the wind blow,

I'm going to Graceland,
Memphis Tennessee
I'm going to Graceland,
Poorboys and Pilgrims with families
And we are going to Graceland,

And my traveling companions
Are ghosts and empty sockets
I'm looking at ghosts and empties,
But I've reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland,

There is a girl in New York City,
Who calls herself the human trampoline,
And sometimes when I'm falling flying
Or tumbling in turmoil I say
Whoa so this is what she means,
She means we're bouncing into Graceland,
And I see losing love
Is like a window in your heart,
Everybody sees you're blown apart,
Everybody feels the wind blow,

In Graceland Graceland,
I'm going to Graceland,
For reasons I cannot explain
There's some part of me wants to see
Graceland,
And I may be obliged to defend
Every love every ending
Or maybe there's no obligations now,
Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland

I'm sending you the lyrics to Graceland because it's only one of two songs I like more that Slip Sliding. The other is "Old Friends." Paul Simon is an astute observer of the human condition. No more time for silence, to hear the voice of God in the wind. So sad.

Gail Peck said...

Thank you Judy--I adore that song as well. The Slip Sliding Away is a new version he recorded especially for iTunes--it's worth buying.

Amaya said...

I agree that it would be fun to be involved in the Story Corps. What a novel idea.
Regarding our multitasking world today - I'm reading a book called The Gutenberg Elegies that discusses a parallel topic = how the Electronic Age is taking away our intelligence and homogenizing society. Some of Sven Birkert's opinions are a little too extreme for me, but he does have some valid points too.

A Week Ago Tuesday