Sunday, March 2, 2008

It's Good for You


Scrabble Anyone?
When you are a street vendor everyone else's sales pitch enters your space. Today at the little market the women next to me were annoyingly chatting loudly on cell phones; once customers started coming along, one of the women gave this sales pitch for healing oils. She claimed--"They are all natural, they are good for you." Apparently they work for sinuses (she also claimed she always has sinuses), tendinitis, headaches, and any other annoyance/pain you can think of. I saw no claims to cure being a nuisance.

Yesterday I had the best day at the market ever. As you know, oftentimes people mosey by that we haven't seen for years. Yesterday was no exception. Janet and Jay's children are all grown now but at one time I babysat for them. Although I haven't seen them for years whenever I do she never fails to remind me how I potty trained one of her girls. The picture she purchased was for one of the girl's upcoming 21st birthday.

I finally did some work on my photo library. I made DVDs of all the pictures I've taken each Sunday for the market. Normally I take anywhere from 30-100 pictures depending on what is going on. All told, it was well over 1,500 pictures!

Orlando is not a very old city. You may remember that we live a block or so away from the original settlement. This grave marker is around a mile down Orange Ave.(the main drag through Orlando) which is a very busy road. There is a tiny cemetery that you can barely see almost next door to a gas station. When I was getting gas the other day I walked over to see it first hand. I was stunned at how old the graves were. There are only about 10 or so markers left. This one seemed particularly poignant. When your children are babies you often give their age very specifically as is pictured here; I wonder if people still do this when a young person is buried.

I've posted this fun story about online Scrabble, one of my all time favorite games.
----------------
Now playing: Fionn Regan - The Underwood Typewriter
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

e said...

oooh, she has sinuses all the time, does she? LOL

A Low Level of Anxiety