Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Lots of Media Today


Dancing in the Streets

I visited the Maitland Art Center today to see what I could see. Turns out, there were a lot of Dorothy Gillespie's whimsical metal art scattered around the gardens. I love her colorful work, in fact, I'm a big fan of lots of metal art. I'm amazed at what artists can do with it. It was pretty hot, but not unbearable.

From there I took a side trip over to the Audubon Birds of Prey center (it is on the way home) to get an owl picture. As we've discovered together, people have strong likes for things like owls. I still have no idea how to take pictures of them in the aviaries, fortunately there is a fenced courtyard where about ten birds hang out. This little guy won't be for sale, but I thought you might like him. The injured birds have leg tethers to keep them from flying away, consequently, you can photograph them fairly easily if you are willing to put your camera between the wrought iron bars. Trouble, one of the eagles, has his own beach umbrella for shade. The staff trims his deformed beak periodically with a Dremel tool so that he can eat. As you can imagine, he would die in the wild.

I've been to both places last year, however, I'm still trying to practice with my Nikon. I am not accustomed to changing lenses (which I regard as a pain) but I'm trying!

Bruce left for Conneticut today, he'll be back on Thursday evening. As you know, his workload is staggering, and yesterday was one of the first times in his career when he went to the final inspection on the same morning it happened. When time permits, he does his own inspection before the Operations Managers come in and have their say. Hurray, his contractors did not let him down, was, as you've already surmised, a success.

The thunderstorms have begun again in earnest--our little Baxter gets so scared!

Lastly on the media front--this just in from our wonderful paper--Parents of twins suffer more stress!!! Duh, they should have asked me.

1 comment:

Amaya said...

I especially like the picture of the entryway.

Back at the Homestead