Thursday, August 21, 2008

Continuing Saga of a Tropical Storm


The rain continues to batter and the wind continues to blow. Seriously, it's worse today than the previous two days with rain falling all day long. I finally had to leave the house for a bit today, this is what I saw upon my return. This is at the end of our street--seven houses away. I had to go around the block to get to the house and for a moment I was nervous that one of ours could have fallen during my absence. I'm so sad because this tree was spectacular. If there is any silver lining for my neighbors it is that it fell into the street ensuring the county paying for the clean up. It can cost thousands of dollars to take a tree like this down.

Here's what I went to see:

The World of William Joyce features the work of one of the most dynamic and talented picture book artists working today. William Joyce has won two Emmys for his popular children’s show that aired on the Disney Channel, William Joyce’s Rolie Polie Olie, an animated series based on his Rolie Polie Olie picture books. In addition, his award-winning picture book “George Shrinks” has been made into a cartoon series on PBS and a feature film, Meet the Robinsons, based on his book “A Day with Wilbur Robinson” was released in 2007.

No mention is made of the wonderful paintings of some of his New Yorker covers. While I was eating lunch I saw an advertisement for free admission on Thursday afternoons. After a few days of rain I get a bit stir crazy. Not to mention I can't take pictures!

This morning I read an article about a woman wanting to make a boutique perfume and the hurdles she faced getting it to market. The best line in the article was this one from the head buyer at Henri Bendel, "A brand is always a story well told." Everyone loves a good story don't they?

Here's a little album with photos from our stay. The property, called Grande Lakes Resort, has both a Ritz Carlton and a JW Marriot, both of which are beautiful. Most of the photos are self-explanatory, however, I want to point out the table for two was set for another couple celebrating a birthday. The bath products were incredibly fragrant (I took the shower cap to use as a rainy day camera protector), and the picture of Bruce is fun because there are four images of him in the same shot. A gator sighting was included for free. The lilies were so amazing I thought they were fake! I started to lay down in the hammock--the results were not pretty. As you can see I'm holding on for dear life!

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety