Saturday, October 4, 2008

Family to the Rescue


One day down, one to go. Today was somewhat disappointing except for my wonderful family. The crowds were pretty slim so when that happens I import family to make up for it. Not really, Pat and Ruth just showed up and is always the case they insisted on buying some prints. I tried to say no but Ruth went into my little area where the payments happen, used the calculator and slipped a check into my money pouch--sly girl that she is. It really was wonderful to see them as it has been quite a while. Pat says he is enjoying retirement which is such good news. They hung around for a while keeping me company after Judy, sister in law extraordinaire left. She teaches at the high school next door to the festival and scooted over after she taught a PSAT class. Sadly, it was so slow that I don't think I had a single sale while she was there.

Good thing for my graffiti picture because if nothing else sells it will eventually. I was thinking it was a different crowd then I usually sell to because by 4:00 I'd not sold a one of the graffiti. Soon there after however a couple walked into the booth, tried to talk me down, and purchased it. Ten minutes later a young woman came with her friend expressing sorrow that I'd sold it. I think while they were there a young man came with exact change and bought it in the small print. I so wish I could give the artist credit for it because to date I have sold that print 60 times!!! My next best selling photograph is a scene of the beach with yellow daisy like flowers in the foreground. People seem to love it in person although when I posted it on flickr no one paid a minutes attention to it. Frankly I continue to be surprised at the popularity of it. Sadly I took it when I knew zero about taking pictures. Because of that it cannot be made larger than a 16x20 print. Which just goes to show you that you never know what folks will like. Often to get what I think is super good I take the same scene in any number of variations. I don't like to get out my reading glasses to check my photos as I take them so this usually ensures something will be good. The two aforementioned scenes did not fit this mold--one of the graffiti, two of the beach scene. No editing, just what I saw.

So often I get people who say they would love to do what I do never realizing how much work is involved, not to mention experimentation. My photo library is packed (ridiculously so) with photos that have never been seen by anyone but me. Maybe there is another shot that people will be crazy for that has not been printed. That is one of the challenging parts--what is good enough for others to see?

Our neighbor Angela helped me take everything out to the show on Friday afternoon. I told her she would forever after feel differently when attending an art show after she saw how much work was involved. By the time she went home last evening she could already see what I meant!

My sweetheart Bruce brought Baxter out to help me close down-- a welcome surprise. Pat and Ruth were watching the booth while I made one last trip to the bathroom when he arrived. The project manager to the rescue!!! He was worried I would be to worn out which I was. They had a very nice party for the artists and their assistants after closing with music, food, and libations. We were visiting with a couple when prizes were awarded. The man won a $600 prize! Best in show was $2,000! The committee did a fabulous job putting the show together. It is not their fault that the economy has everyone afraid to spend any money.

Here's what's come to mind:

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
Bet your bottom dollar
That tomorrow
There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about
Tomorrow
Clears away the cobwebs,
And the sorrow
'Til there's none!

When I'm stuck with a day
That's gray,
And lonely,
I just stick out my chin
And Grin,
And Say,
Oh!

The sun'll come out
Tomorrow
So ya gotta hang on
'Til tomorrow
Come what may
Tomorrow! Tomorrow!
I love ya Tomorrow!
You're always
A day
A way!

Lastly, today's photo comes from the Polasek museum. Every week there seems to be something new and interesting in bloom. This flower is a real beauty in person, I fear my photograph may not do it justice.
----------------
Listening to: Tift Merritt - Write My Ticket
via FoxyTunes

----------------
Listening to: Tift Merritt - Write My Ticket
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Glad that you had a good day with friends all around.
You are lucky to have that...
some of us have no support.

But you are always a star to me...bisous et bonne journée.

Amaya said...

That is one of my favorite songs! It is especially dear to my heart now that I live in Seattle. ;)

A Low Level of Anxiety