Thursday, October 23, 2008

So Much To Say

These have been busy days my friends. So many places, people, and events to report on that I thought I might make it easier by showing you.




I took a trip to the zoo the other day which definitely received mixed reviews, not only physically, but photographically. I tried my best to focus inside the cages with very little success. I was positive I had the Toucan, alas it was still a bit fuzzy. The building with the snakes and reptiles was one of my favorite parts because they were so colorful. I managed to get this picture of a Skank of all things. I hardly knew that derogatory term was a real living reptile. I'd not been to the zoo since the children were way, way young. I just realized it was even before Jonathan was born. I've got a darling photo of the boys having a pony ride. No ponies these days. I will say that although the zoo is poorly funded, they do a good job with what they have.

Barely home for long and then off to see Jane's son Carter, and his girlfriend, Lauren playing at a downtown bar to raise funds for literacy. A good time was had by all.

I am happy to report Bruce got home that night. He had a meeting on Thursday morning but stayed home the rest of the day working. He did take a bit of a break midday and we did a few errands together which is not something we get to do very often these days.

Which brings us to Friday/Saturday and the Fresh Summit convention. Turns out it was a huge produce marketing convention. Arriving on Friday we were a bit lost, but Jane kept a level head and eventually we got set up. Our convention center is massive; parking and unloading at the farthest from your assigned space is NOT my idea of fun. She reminded me that we were here for the adventure. Our location did not receive many visitors however I did manage some sales. It was pretty cool to see new produce products including the dragon fruit pictured, as well as those reddish spiky things. I wish I could remember the name of those because they were fascinating looking. Although they look sharp, they feel more like plastic scrubby things you would use for cleaning in the kitchen. Once opened it almost looks like an eyeball minus the pupil--not so appetizing to me, but it may find a market.

One of the customers told me that she first saw grape tomatoes a few years ago at this same convention. Her husband predicted that no one would buy them, but as we all know now, they are hot sellers. I love to pop them in my mouth like fruit. Apparently they are easy to grow and less labor intensive than cherry tomatoes which have all but disappeared from produce markets.

Sunday's market was my second best sales day there ever. Having picture perfect weather must have helped, but frankly I was surprised after the challenging economic news last week. Did I mention I was delighted as well?

While at the market I picked up the latest copy of Orlando Weekly, our local alternative newspaper. Last week Ruth altered me that the accompanying photo with the review of the "Love Works" show was mine. Forgive me for the poor wording of the above sentence, I can't seem to get it just right. Anyway imagine my surprise seeing my piece along with my name in the paper. There were so many pieces that it was a total shock. Thank you Ruth,you are such a great support.

Finally, I was also mighty surprised to find a new format Rolling Stone in the mail. After all these years they have shrunk down to traditional magazine size. Paper costs?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What Zoo did you go to?

Gail Peck said...

The Sanford zoo--it is pretty small but I did like watching the spider monkeys who were behind a smeared glass wall!

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

Love your zoo images...
so colorfully beautiful.
The zoos are always one of my fave places to go just to hang out and relax when I am stressed.
And I always know that I always can get one or two decent images.

I am lucky when in Chicago as there are two zoos to choose from and both are superbe. I am member of one and the other is free, so I can go often.
Just wish we had more tigers here...!

Anonymous said...

Last week Ruth altered

Last week Ruth alerted

Gail that is perhaps why it didn't look just right.

A Low Level of Anxiety