Monday, September 28, 2009

A Letter


Dear Gentle Readers,
Rather than a strict narrative today I wanted to take a moment to thank you for taking time from your busy lives to spend a few minutes reading my blog. Although I rarely hear from you, I can feel you cheering me on from the sidelines. These last few years have been such an adjustment in all sorts of ways, including learning to manage my time and my cameras, becoming a small business woman, and the worst part of the deal--promoting myself. For most of my life it was not about me. Between raising a wonderful family, and being a part of a health care team, others came first. Bruce isn't mentioned because we all know he comes first in my heart, and always has. :)
It isn't often that I get to do something for a person in need these days, so what happened today felt so right. I was leaving Target when I saw two Target employees trying to fit a gigantic box into a too-small vehicle with a black woman standing there not knowing what to do. I stopped to see if I could help, mentioning that I have a Honda Element and maybe the box would fit in the back. Asking where she lived, and discovering it wasn't all that far, I said let me get the car and I'll follow you to your home. Looking relieved but still not sure I meant it, she mentioned she needed to pick up her son at Boone (the high school where from which all the Peck men graduated) first. No problem.
And so I did. When we got to her apartment building, the son and mom hoisted the box (some sort of bed) onto the ground, and we proceeded to get it into the building. She went to open their second floor apartment door while I showed the young man how to shimmy (maybe not the right word) it up the stairs without having to carry it. Grateful, they thanked me, and I was off. I was grateful for the opportunity to make their day a little easier.
Fondly,
Gail

5 comments:

matt said...

Love you, Mom!

Mary said...

I am not at all surprised! This is a wonderful expression of who you are and what you believe....do unto others........real Christianity!

Emily said...

How lucky they are to have met you-few people have such a kind spirit :)

Jeanie said...

You absolutely have a loyal following out here--and we are so honored to know you!

Gail Peck said...

Thank you dear ones but no props needed--I love you too!

Back at the Homestead