Thursday, October 25, 2012

Are We There Yet?

If you ever visit La Jolla, California, I strongly recommend you stay at the Hyatt Regency if at all possible. Bruce has limits as to what he can spend for a hotel while traveling, and strangely enough, this Michael Grave's four diamond hotel is not too expensive. Am I ever glad that is the case because it is a wonderful place to stay. Every detail seems to be thoroughly thought out, with little delights for your senses everywhere. Wonderful use of color as in this beautiful tile with the fountains running into the outdoor whirlpool.
This view from the pool area shows the cute little circus roof which leads to the underground parking.
The lobby is beautiful as well, which is the case with the rooms. Great bed, linens, bathroom--all fantastic! The price to have Bruce's shirts done--not so much. $10.
Unlike my younger sister Lisa, I'm not one to relish driving in a strange city. So much so, much as I wanted to, I did not make it to the world famous San Diego Zoo. Bruce took off work around 4 last Thursday, and after consulting a map to Balboa Park, (where the zoo is located) I asked him if he would drive me there and I'd see if I could do it the next day. Most of it was fine, but the closer we got to downtown, the trickier it became. Couldn't do it! As in a lot of big cities, there are loads of one way streets downtown, making it a bit of a challenge for a first visit. So glad Bruce was at the wheel! I wish we'd had time to stop and get this photo instead of taking it out his window while moving!
The sun was beginning to set as we gawked at our surroundings,
Along the way we passed, Yard House, another California chain Darden has recently purchased. It was getting dark, Bruce was getting hungry, so we pulled into a spot and ate at Anthony's on the bay. According to a sign posted inside they are celebrating 65 years as San Diego's favorite seafood spot.
Too bad it was too late to see the ship visible in front of Bruce. The food was good, but if you're looking for a romantic spot, look further.

Because I didn't have the nerve for the zoo, Bruce decided we'd head back up towards LA, stopping along the way to check off his punch list in Carson.  Somehow I managed to convince him to stop at the Cove so he could at least see something other than the road, or a job site! We had a delicious breakfast overlooking the water here:
We sat just behind the pictured couple. Back on the 5/405 for the two hour drive North. Along the way we saw a nuclear power plant with these lines running up into the hills.
Carson is just off the 405, and here is his new Olive Garden there:
Mostly I just read in the car while he did his thing but I did make one little jaunt away from this parking lot. Checking a map on my phone I was reminded that the Goodyear Blimp parking was just down the street.
You just know I kept hoping it would head skyward! On the road again with a stop this time at Culver City mall. This Olive Garden is set into the mall--quite nice I might add.
And here's the view facing the street:
Chatting with Matt yesterday afternoon he told me he's been to this very mall during a trip to LA. Small world isn't it? Remember a while back I posted a picture of a guy getting his teeth whitened in the middle of the mall? Well, I won't be surprised if I don't a "barber shop" popping up in the center of Florida Mall like the one behind the green wall pictured here. As they say, "As California Goes, So Goes the Nation."
We are almost there---driving down Sunset Blvd. towards Carol's house we saw a sign ahead for Peck Drive. "Honey, we must turn around to get a picture of that!!" Ever the gentleman, he did just that and if you can believe it, when we came to Peck Drive, check out the corner sign!!!!
I can't tell you the amount of times we've all been asked if we are related! In fact, years ago, Bill was visiting his Aunt Carol, accompanying her to the Academy Awards. While in the bathroom, our Bill ran into Mr. Gregory Peck who was most gracious when Bill mentioned the above. Once in a lifetime experience, right?

Finally we made it! From the front of the house you would never know how much there is to see from the back.
This is the street level, but let me just say there are stairs and steps everywhere, including this bunch leading down to the pool.
There's yet about 29 more that you can't see leading down from the driveway. The back of the house, built into the hill is about three stories tall. That my friends is why they call it Beverly Hills.

I've only got two more days of adventures to share. Are you getting bored yet? I hope not!

No comments:

Back at the Homestead