Skip to main content

Color Story

Sometimes I'm almost embarrassed at how much I rely on Bruce for most everything. Oftentimes I think of my dear new friend Bev, who lost her husband a few years ago, and how she's managing on her own. I admire her strength and attitude! There are a lot of things I do well, but setting up my stuff without Bruce is not one of them. What to do without him around this week? Why, I think I'll call Angela!!

For many, many years, Angela was a district manager for JoAnne Fabrics, in charge of stores in three states. She KNOWS how to get things done! Plus, she's a bunch younger than I am and very handy. She's been married twice--both husbands have shown no aptitude for hammers and nails, thus, she's learned how to do loads of things around the house. Because I have been fortunate to have a husband who can do and fix anything, I, on the other hand, have learned very little. Did I mention she's also 6 feet tall? Now that is really a help when doing handy things!

Did I tell you that Monday Bruce and I visited the FAVO space to see what supplies we needed? Pretty much it is a bare-floored, and windowed room with a bar on the ceiling to hang some lights. Monday we found no lights, however it must have been Tuesday afternoon I found some for a reasonable price at Lowe's. Anyway, during our visit on Monday we met Will Benton, the director of the space, who doubles as the organist at the church.
Will, Bruce and bare space! From the few times I've had a chance to talk to him I've already formed an opinion of someone who is very interested in furthering the art scene in Orlando. He has been working tirelessly to make this a success.

Although I showed you the outside before, that photo was taken in the rain, and at night. Sadly, that same sort of rain may visit tomorrow night, but I can't worry about that can I? I am in Room 239
which is the second blue door from the left on the second floor. There are lights strung along the balcony which should make a very cool ambience. No rain, no rain--that is our mantra...

Angela agreed to help, and Thursday morning fit her schedule, so it sure fit mine! Never look a gift horse in the mouth, as my late Mother would say. Packing the vehicle this morning I was getting a little excited, hoping we could turn the bare space into something a little welcoming.  I told you it was pretty bare bones!
Woo hoo!! Big find! Although the sink works, the toilet does not, so covering the entryway to the half working bathroom was something I hoped to do. If you can believe it, I found a grayish shower curtain on sale at Ross for $3.99!!! Somehow I had an extra rod, bought some rings at Big Lots for $1.00, and we were in business.

My British friend does not like our Florida heat, despite having lived in Florida for more than 20 years. Room 239 has only a half working air conditioner, so when I tell you her help was a labor of love, I really mean it!  Her height came in oh so handy setting up the lights on the overhead bar.

With her work experience she learned to be a take-charge person and I have no problem allowing her to do so. She asked me as we got ready to plan the hanging--What color story are you trying to tell? Well.....let's see....
In just a little over two hours the place was set up allowing us to head to the sanctuary of the Honda Pilot with the AC on full blast! I will be bringing fans, and with any luck the weather will turn a tad cooler by tomorrow night.
How about the shower curtain?? The table will have baskets for those who want to browse. As well, along with the fan, I'll be bringing another little table and lamp from my office to put in the other corner. The other wall has some of the larger pieces, but you've probably seen enough. I hope I'll be able to have some photos with visitors for another post! Wouldn't that be nice.

In the above photo Angela is getting things just right with the Stik baby canvases. I love those pieces, smiling every darn time I look at them. I came across a terrific three part Stik Interview yesterday afternoon from a London blog. He comes across as a very nice young man who has an amazing story. What I learned from the interview is that the turquoise Stik figures I photographed before our Street Art Tour began were painted outside the building where he has his studio on the fourth floor! I am one who likes to know these things.

Because of her speedy work I was able to play bridge this afternoon. You know what happens when you get a little braggy about doing better at something? You guessed it--we got pummeled today, and I do mean pummeled! All part of the learning curve my friends.

This last photo is for my cat loving friends--a pretty little cat walking down the street during my bike ride yesterday morning.
There surely is a color story here isn't there?

The days are getting so much shorter aren't they? Although it's only 7:30, it is nearly dark, however, I just had to let Baxter out, and despite the near-dark and rain, I dare say I saw some red in the sky and we all know what that means....
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bodies of Water

Raise your hand if you think you can identify the location of this lovely scene? Before our excursion on Saturday, I certainly would have kept my arm straight by my side because I would have had no clue. This is the park on the shores of East Lake Tohopekaliga in downtown St. Cloud, Florida. I've included Florida because there is a town named the same in Minnesota, not far from a restaurant Bruce built, and there might just be someone from Minnesota that comes across this blog and thinks, that's not my town! 
At any rate, Bruce's superintendent in Plano is doing a fabulous job which means Mr. Peck is not having to kill himself, performing as both Project Manager, and the field Super. It's about time that he got a bit of a break, so when I asked him if he was up for a Saturday excursion to St. Cloud, he agreed. Both of us have driven by the exit to this little town on countless occasions, but never had either of us actually been there before. 28 miles from Orlando, it i…

And Just Like That....

another weekend has arrived! My, how the time flies when you are old. The date for our move to Vancouver in early July just keeps getting closer and closer! In the meantime, we are staying busy.

Matt and Tom have an anniversary coming up, yes, it has been three years already at the end of the month. You will not be surprised that I made a quilt to honor the occasion which I sent a week or so ago, thinking it would take some time. You never really know. In this instance it took only one week and since I sent it to Matt's workplace, he opened it right up and sent me a text to say he loved it! That was a relief because it is a little different than some quilts I've made. When I had only the top pieced Bruce was a little skeptical of the end result, however, after the addition of spiral quilting, and ORANGE binding, he was a convert!
For a touch of whimsy, I used a fabric with drawn kitty cats for Tom. The beginning of the spiral is somewhat sketchy, but I did the best that I coul…

Hither and Yon

Looking back on things, it does seem kind of crazy I did not know what was happening to me. No more so than on Saturday when we took a little trip to Steveston. But first we went to Richmond, a largely Asian community to meet up with the fellow who makes all of the furniture for Earls restaurants. By hand no less. Well, machines are involved, of course. Sewing machines and all manner of wood working tools. But, we'll get to that in a moment.

First, let's take the Canada Line to Broadway and Cambie Street, shall we?
The Canada Line actually runs from the waterfront all the way to both the airport and Richmond. Now you know.

Back in early July, the day we were having one of our two garage sales, we quit early to attend Judy's retirement party which was just lovely. So, not only was the party great, but Judy's sister Margie gave me a Lonely Planet guide to Vancouver and has it ever been helpful, with suggested neighborhood walks, points of interest, maps...the whole sheba…