Skip to main content

So Long Windy Blue....

....thanks for the memories! Although it does not seem so long ago that I came up with this title, De-Tauping, according to my handy, long running blog, it has been more than six years since that last I painted our living room. Well, now I am doing so again, and have been for days, this time doing all the woodwork which is taking a long time. Because we are heading to the beach shortly for a much needed respite from painting, I wanted to say hello and share a few photos I've taken in the last week that I hope will make you smile. I am, however, sneaking in just this one of the painting in progress.
In case you are wondering, the new color passes the excellent name test...Sweet Caroline. I dare you not to begin singing that song in your head!!

The other morning, after yet another monster rainstorm, I came across this pretty kitty during my bike ride.
It may have been that very same day that I stopped by Cheryl's house, only to find her not home, but I did find a lovely swallowtail busy on her Jatropha tree.
Although we have a gazillion Jatropha plants, as well as a tree, ours attract more bees than butterflies. I hear a lot of talk about a shortage of bees, however, we are not lacking in that department. 

I don't know why it is that I find toads interesting, but I do. Frogs, not so much. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but I've been asked before how you tell the difference between the two, so perhaps you fall into that camp? Toads have rough, bumpy skin, whereas frogs are gross, and slimy-like.
Plus, toads are more likely to be out and about in the daytime, as this little one was found by me on our pool deck during the afternoon.

Just as we have no shortage of bees, the same goes for birds. My word, they are visiting the feeders in abundance, sometimes sharing, sometimes, particularly the blue jays, claiming the perches for their own. The cardinals are acting all crazy, and who could blame them? I'd be acting crazy too if I were molting!
I can't decide which sex looks worse during molting....
And with that exciting picture, I'm flying off myself to enjoy a much needed day of rest!! Where shall we go today? 
Gail

p.s. while doing a search of my blog about the painting, I came across this bit from June of 2008 when I'd written a post entitled, De-Tauping Part Two. Reading it, six years later, made me just a little teary-eyed.

Congratulations to our son Bill! Last evening while driving to what he thought was a bank get together, he called me complaining bitterly about the traffic he was stuck in, among other things. I was optimistic, trying to convince him life was not so bad. About two hours later he called back to tell me the gathering was an awards ceremony and he was the recipient of "Rookie of the Year" award for Wachovia in Seminole County, the location of his branch. How about that? He is a hard worker; this is a wonderful recognition of his efforts. Aren't we lucky parents? Our children have turned out so well. I apologize if that sounds like bragging. Today people wait so long to have children hoping that they can provide them with all the advantages money can buy. We, on the other hand, started our family when we were 23. By the time I was 29 we had four children. I'm not saying that they couldn't have had more material things but somehow our provisions and love brought them to this place in life. I am so grateful for what they have become. 
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doings in Orlando

"Cheryle, are you kidding me? You want me to come help YOU decorate your tree?" Desperate is what she was, because if anyone knows how to decorate, it is Cheryle!
Seriously...how cool is this? Before you even go inside you have awesome things to look at, including this cool "tree" she copied from a small version found in a Crate & Barrel catalog.
Super great red lighting on the palms..Christmas, Florida style.
Friends helping friends might be how you would describe the gumbo she made from Pam's turkey carcass. Following the gumbo, we set to work while Bruce watched television following a busy week. David, Cheryle's husband, has a full schedule singing in various choirs during the holidays including the Bach choir, directed by none other than the music minister at our new church. Having lived for much of her adult life in Chicago, it was only fitting that this, in the year of the Cubs big World Series win, be the first ornament on the tree.
Saturday I sp…

Drive, Eat, Sleep--Repeat

Technically I did none of the driving, but the title wouldn't be near as catchy if I'd included riding, don't you think?

So, the yard is cleaned of storm debris, the pool is clean, the laundry is going, and I've been to Dr. Parillo for a follow-up visit. Now it is time to blog!!

Let us get started with the statistics of our fantastic journey:


We flew 892 miles to Cinncinatti.We flew 1,318 miles home from Manchester, NHBruce drove 1,300 miles!We traveled in parts of six states, as well as CanadaOur interstate traveling was at a bare minimum allowing us to go through countless towns, villages, and beautiful countryside From my window seat.... So that's the dry stuff, let's get into the good stuff, shall we? I heard from a few of you that you could not wait to see the photographs from the trip which was a very nice thing to hear.  I hope you are not disappointed, because not only did I not take a gazillion photos, the ones I did are just so-so for various reasons, …

Photograph Overload

Don't say I did not warn you!!

Firstly, I wonder what Spring is going to be like, having already mostly experienced it this Winter.

And we are off on some adventures!!

I hardly know where to start, but perhaps we will go backward in time....is there anyone amongst my readers that live in Central Florida that does not like azalea blooming time? I should hope not.
Then too, the camellias are blooming everywhere, and what's not to like about that? Not a thing my friends.
Both of these photographs were taken in the back yard of my new friends that have the house where the Eagle has landed. This morning, instead of putting it off, I took off on my bicycle just as the sun was rising. It was plenty warm already, so there were no excuses to be found. Riding as fast as I could to the Lake Conway ramp, the sun had just broken the horizon creating a beautiful rosy glow.
Eagle hunting followed, and sure enough it was way up in the Pine tree, basically the usual spot, except when it is not…