Thursday, April 23, 2015

I'm Softening the Butter Right Now

I'm not sure what you will be most interested in today, so let me just start with the topic the title refers to. Yesterday morning, while talking on the phone to Nancy about how fantastic "Bloodline" is, Angela called through. I told Nancy, "let me get this, no telling what's going on." And so I clicked over to Angela who sounded downright cheerful while asking me for a favor. "What do you do really well Gail?" she asked. Because I know that she has a somewhat elevated opinion of my photography, I felt sure she wanted me to run over with the camera. Much to my surprise, she said Matt was requesting cookies again! In yet another example of how he keeps defying predictions, he can nibble a bit, and wanted some chocolate chip cookies. "I'm softening the butter as we speak." And so I made some cookies.

Later in the afternoon, following a much needed visit to Monica, I brought the cookies, as well as the photo of the owl holding the tree that Bruce printed earlier for that purpose. I was hoping to bring a smile to Matt's face with that little cutie, and it worked! If you can imagine, I forgot my camera altogether, however, Angela recorded the moment on her phone.
He looks pretty darn good for a dying man doesn't he? We spent about an hour visiting in their gazebo; Matt likes the heat, and I don't mind it a bit either, especially with an overhead fan! He remains cheerful in spite of all that he is going through. He cannot eat very much, most of his nutrition comes through the feeding tube, but the fact that he can eat at all is a great improvement. He just keeps hanging on, which is what I wrote on the photo. :)

So, while I was making cookies, and getting my hair cut, the guys were outside working. I was glad to keep busy because this kind of environment makes me a wee bit crazy.
Told you it was weird!

First they painted the trim using a cool little machine.
Actually that is the house color the tube is running into which looks a heck of a lot lighter in the pail than on the house. Here's your last look at what used to be, and still is in the photo, a sunny yellow house.
Now, it looks more like this following a massive rainstorm this morning.
So, that is the side view, and here's the front of the house:
Along with a view of the back:
As you can see, there is work yet to be completed, however, today was not that day as it rained like a son of a gun around 10 AM. The window sills, the screws on the shutters, the trim around the doors--that sort of thing is what remains to be done. It was suggested to me that I might spring for a better doorbell and I did just that as well as new house numbers.
Because I was not looking to change the light fixtures, I tried to find a match at Lowes with no success. Amazon Prime to the rescue! Herbert snuck these on in between showers, and will do the touch up tomorrow, or so we hope! You might have noticed that I painted the little sun thing on the front porch yellow because it did not look good the way it was against the new color. Nor does the one in the back, however, I'm not sure I'm sold on the yellow so I'm going to ponder that for a few days.

What do we think of the color? Love it, although a few of my older neighbors, including Corrine, were not so sure. Except, this morning, just before the biggest storm, Corrine called out to me to tell me that now she thinks it looks swell. It's good to have neighborhood harmony isn't it?

I'm sure you can guess where I went first on my bike ride today. Yup. Just about to leave because I could find not one of the owls, lo and behold, there were the two babies. And, at one point they both were on the same limb, HOWEVER, that picture turned out terrible. But, you knew already that I only post the good ones, didn't you?
I'm not sure I can tell them apart just yet, however, I think one of them may be a little darker than the other. When one of the began walking a bit on the limb, I knew something was coming.
Well, I sure did not expect this!
There was some thunder rumblings beginning so that was that for my owl visit. On my way home, I stopped for a moment to talk to Cheryle, whose Angel Trumpet tree rivals the one I showed in my last post.
I cannot remember a time when the trees were so loaded with blooms. Magnificent!!

Because I returned home too late to fix supper last evening we went out for a bite to eat. Nothing memorable but on the way home, driving by Lake Jennie Jewel I noticed the setting sun. Brucer, I'm coming right back down to the lake. When I see beauty, I'm going to enjoy every moment of it. Not a particularly memorable sunset, but I do love a tiny crescent moon.
And, really, who could complain about more babies?
Hopefully, tomorrows sunny forecast holds up and Herbert will get his money and we'll have a completely different home. Talk about a dramatic change, huh? If you have any suggestions for improvement, I am all ears.

Time to spruce up for this evenings event--a fundraiser for Parkinson's Disease. I hope for Tanya's sake, it is a resounding success.

yours truly,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety