Monday, March 7, 2016

Another Round of Antibiotics

For those of you have my desk calendars, this photograph is familiar to you as I used it for March. I have one of those calendars too, but I also have a wall calendar in the kitchen, and I am sharing this large because I think it is one of the prettiest sights I've ever had the pleasure to see both with my eyes, and my camera. I took this last April in Vancouver at Stanley Park, should you be curious.
Why not start with something pretty?

As my title makes clear, I had to go back to the doctor this morning, and as the pharmacist described it to me, he's going at this ear infection from a different angle. Plus, there is a steroid to clear up the fluid. I certainly know both Bruce and Maureen will be delighted when I can hear again, and won't have to ask them to repeat themselves all day long! Furthermore, about a week ago, I took a tumble, striking the right side of my chest on a granite counter top. To say that it has been hurting is putting it mildly. X-rays today showed that nothing is amiss, however, although the pain is diminishing, (I can actually turn over in bed without crying out), it can't be over soon enough for me!

So, there's that.

As to the date night, it did not happen on Friday night because along with the ear problem, I've got a coughing problem, and fatigue. I was just plain too tired. Saturday evening though, we planned ahead and went early to The Capital Grille at Millenia Mall. We were trying the bar menu and this cute little half bottle of nice wine!
Remember when a screw top meant a cheap wine? I'll tell you what, I love a restaurant that brings a bread basket with a slab of butter sprinkled with salt. Oh my, oh my! We split a Lobster Roll, served with house made malt potato chips, a first for us--delicious!! Our server was wonderful, so we asked to speak with the manager. Along came this nice young fella...
He told us something amazing, and I thought you might enjoy hearing it too. This is, "out & about with Gail", after all. His grandparents lived adjacent to Dolly Parton in Tennessee!! Knowing me, you know I've forgotten all the details, but he did say when he was a youngster they would get invited to her place. :)

I think we were home by 8 and not too much later Mrs. Peck was sound asleep. As she was on Sunday night after hosting the Peck version of Hill's Happy Hour.
The usual suspects were in attendance minus Mr. Hill who passed the torch this week due to work constraints. I took this photo last year when we had the progressive dinner of everyone and I don't think I ever posted it.
I happened to have come across it while looking through my photo library, something, while selling photography I got pretty sick of. Now, I just look and wonder if anything is even remotely good. I was so inspired after watching that documentary last week....black and white photos definitely speak another language. I looked through and found some that I turned black and white, wondering how much it changed the feel of the photo. For sure, this one, taken while visiting Nashville in November most definitely does. Without the bright lights of the neon, it has a different depth. Or, at least I think so.
I wonder what kind of photographer I would have been had I lived in a big city? That's a silly question, now isn't it?

I'm sure you've been dying to know how Maureen is doing, and the answer is fairly well. Lisa has her doing some arm exercises and walking as much as she can. She even took her to lunch over at Rich and Jenn's house yesterday to see them and her darling grandsons! That said, those who are praying for her, don't stop just yet!

While waiting on my prescription this morning I killed time at Publix looking at magazines. I was surprised to see one called, All Recipes, a favorite site for a long time. I opened the magazine randomly and here is one from their "hall of fame." I can definitely vouch for the tastiness of this cake.
As a matter of fact, it brought to mind something from my days at Valencia.  I first made it for our vegan son Matt's birthday years ago and knew how tasty it is. Well, for my last speech in speech class, you had to demonstrate how to do something. Because this cake is so easy, using a fork for mixing, I showed how to make it! This was about ten years ago when vegan was gaining traction. I remember a time when I never expected a wholly vegan restaurant; now I'm surprised when I go to a restaurant and there are not vegan options.

Before I forget, let me just show off for Pam her latest creation!
The photo does not do it justice, nor does it show off the BRIGHT orange backing! And to think she'd not used her sewing machine for years and years before we began getting her back into it last September.

Mr. Bruce went to the big Orlando City game yesterday, sitting in a box suite. I might add. Our friend Bill knows everyone, and has connections to everything. So, more than 60,000 people came out for the game, a bunch of whom, like Bruce and his friends, left a little early. Not so fast!! Two goals in the last minute of stoppage time and it was a draw. That is the thing with soccer....nothing, nothing, nothing, and then, BAM! Sometimes life feels the same way, don't you think?

So, no bike ride for me today, but I have every hope that very soon I will have my full health back and everything won't be such a struggle.

It could be much, much, worse, as it has been for our friends Liz and Tracy. I wrote about them back in 2012 here.  I am so sad to report that he died on Saturday evening. Not good.

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety