Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Going Out on a Limb

At the risk of raising scorn amongst my readers, I have to admit that I am one of those old fashioned folks that still believe in creation by God. As stubborn as I am, no one can convince me that this beautiful bird appeared from a big bang.
The last time I was through the peacock neighborhood, most of the males had yet to get their gorgeous tail feathers, nor were those beautiful scale like things completely filled out. Scale like things--getting all technical there. I do love the tail feathers, but the symmetry and colorations of those things get me every time. Looking them up just now I could not find them specifically labeled, so I assume they are feathers as well. Then there are the tips, oh my!
Let's put it this way, the male peacock is a marvel of creativity and engineering! Then too, most people think the spots look like eyes, however to me they look more like fat little hearts. Perhaps because I am a romantic?

The ladies who do the flowers at church outdid themselves on Easter Sunday, as did the pastor, and the choir. Beautiful service.
We went to Hawkers for lunch, following the service, and since Bruce was wearing a white shirt and dark pants, when we pulled up, I asked him if I could get a photo of him next to the bright orange wall on the building adjacent to the restaurant. I've been thinking a lot about using contrast in art and quilting of late, knowing he would embody that concept against the wall. He's so sweet to work with me on my photographic experiments.
He then asked if I wanted my picture made, and of course I said no, as I look horrible in photographs, however, he insisted, and since I told you I was wearing a springy dress, I thought I'd show it to you.
Naturally I am talking while he's taking the photograph! Let's just say growing bangs out is not for the faint of heart....yeesh! Then too, I've not been able to rid myself of the plantars wart on my toe, thus the sandals, as anything with much of a heel kills me. The dress on the other hand, a gift from Bruce last year, is pretty as can be.

On the way home, I asked him to pull over and let me photograph this amazing display of sunflowers in front of a house just off Mills Avenue.
Woo hoo!!! Interestingly enough, years and years ago, I pulled over myself to photograph a flower on the side of this very house that proved to be very popular with buyers. Because I'm no longer selling myself, here it is.
At the time I did not even know it was a dahlia, mostly being drawn in by the gorgeous color. Getting back into the car that day, which was gray and gloomy, I might add, I heard the song, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, and a title was born for this photograph. Not the diamonds part ,but I thought of Lucille Ball, and since I'd laid down on the ground and taken it against the sky....well, it only seemed fitting. People often wondered how I came up with titles and now you, too, know my secrets.

Every single year I seem to take this same photograph. One because I love the old chairs, and two because with fallen Tabebuia blooms surrounding them, I cannot resist. My neighbors are accustomed to me roaming in their yards.
Speaking of the outdoors, as I am wont to do, this little guy was entertaining as heck to watch at the feeder. Very aggressive, he kept flinging seed to the ground as he ate.
For those of you who like knowing more, I'm pretty sure this is a Hairy Woodpecker, but don't quote me on that. Or maybe it is a Downy Woodpecker?

I do know that these are ibises and they were patrolling our street for food the other day. I'm pretty sure it is breeding season for them, which apparently causes the beak and feet to be much redder than normal.
The leader of the pack broke off, following another group across the street. Perhaps looking for love?
While chatting with Jonathan and Alissa on Sunday night, I asked if they'd seen my posts with the eagles? Of course they hadn't! They are thirty-somethings, they are far too busy to read Camera Crazy! I mentioned that because I could not find the owls, I was having to watch eagles and eaglets instead. Not that I was complaining or anything....it is a good problem to have. Anyway, I saw a call coming through from Pam so I asked him to hold on a second. She exclaimed----"good news, we saw the owls and their babies on our walk tonight!!!" Unbelievable. Getting right back to my call, I had to retract the owls not being anywhere in sight.

As it turns out, they moved this year, nesting in a back yard about four doors down from Nell's house. Naturally, at first light on Monday, I rode right over scanning the trees. No luck at all. About to concede defeat, I finally spotted one of the parents high above me.
Another gray and gloomy day, so the photo is not my best, but merely documentation. I went back later in the day with the same result. I went back yesterday morning, more of the same. All was not lost because I stopped by for a chat with Nell who is still working in her beautiful gardens at 80. The blooming Nun's orchids are divine, as is the yellow orchid she cleverly planted in the ground.
Aren't they something? While we were visiting a ladybug appeared, not something I see very often.
More rain and gloom around here, but I'm thinking today we will once again have some sunshine, or so I hope. One thing though, sewing is a good way to spend the gloomy days inside.

So, here's what I'm thinking about creation....because the Bible says we are made in God's image, all of us are creators as well, whether it be with wood, paint, words, fabric and the list goes on. Some folks find their creative talents early on, some later in life, but I believe the urge to create eventually surfaces. What is your outlet for creativity?

Our friend Cheryle, who once tells me she killed a fake plant, now has a garden that is a feast for the senses, with blooming plants everywhere. Having lived in an apartment most of her life, she'd never really gotten into gardening until she and David bought Lois's house with blooming gardens already in place. Cheryle, though, has taken it to an entirely different level. That said, I took this yesterday, while over there discussing her next move doing outdoor art festivals, and while there is not a bloom in sight, the texture of the leaves caught my eye.
While trying not to be too negative, I did tell her all of the difficulties involved with selling art out of a tent; things I learned, sometimes the hard way! For me, I am ever so grateful to be out of that business even if I do sometimes miss chatting it up with folks from around the world!

Back to my sewing machine,

Gail

p.s. Yesterday was Matt and Tom's two year anniversary. Time really does fly the older you get...

No comments:

A Week Ago Tuesday