Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Stay Young, Go Dancing

I wish I'd gone dancing, but barring that, we are doing things around here to stay young, at least at heart. No, that is the title of one of my favorite songs by Death Cab for Cutie whose singer is wise beyond his years. I read somewhere that the older you get the more important it is to stay connected socially and try new things.

In that spirit we went to a performance by our friend Catherine on Sunday night after Hill's Happy Hour. Scottish by birth, she has a wonderful voice which I'd mostly only heard on video. And where was this performance you ask? Somewhere very cool is where. Benoit Glazer, the musical director of La Nouba, the Cirque do Soleil presentation out at Disney, along with his family, built a home which doubles as a performing space with a nice stage, lighting, and acoustics. Here is the link to Timucua Arts Foundation should you want to know more. They invite musicians to perform, open free to the public mostly on Sunday nights. Although I'd read about it in the newspaper before, we had yet to try it out. I have a feeling this won't be the last time we go there. For one thing, it is very close to our home which is always a bonus! Without further ado, here is Catherine, overwhelmed with the audiences reception of her original music.
The opening act was a women's barbershop quartet! The woman on the far right is Mrs. Glazer.
It was just wonderful watching these women sing their hearts out! And here is Mr. Glazer announcing the acts.
Catherine asked me to video the performance on her phone and I did my best; fortunately we found front row seating. As well as being a singer, Catherine makes short films. During some of the songs, Cheryle worked the computer, making it all a group effort.
The guitar was on loan from Mr. Bill whose birthday we celebrated on Friday night. Well, it was David's birthday too. Picture with Bobby, the man responsible for all of the stone work at Bill's house, including that 1,000 square foot pool deck.
I knew there were going to be more folks than just our family but I did not know it was going to be so many!
Lots of bankers picture above...

Having fun was the order of the evening, however, Mr. Bruce was not among the revelers. He was there in body but his mind was elsewhere because just as we were ready to walk out the door, he got a familiar call from the restaurant. Seems like most every Friday night the hoods over the ranges have a problem that has stymied all of their efforts to fix. If you know Bruce you know he can't just ignore something like that. :(

Did any of you watch the NCAA basketball? Generally I am not one who does but this year, I began watching about two weeks ago. The championship game last night was one for the ages, living up to the whole March Madness hype! The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat was on full display last night! And then this weekend it is the Masters. Woo hoo...sports heaven around here!

So, I went owl hunting yesterday morning and just as I got there, finding nothing I might add, my camera battery died. Riding home I knew I saw something in one of the big pine trees on our street. Riding back over for more fruitless searching, on my way I got this photo of an Osprey having breakfast.
Gosh, these dahlias, spotted in a yard, almost looked fake until I got a little closer. Gorgeous!
I had a nice long Facetime chat with Matt on Sunday afternoon before their trip to Japan which is happening as I type. A long flight from London, not to mention a nine hour time change, and they will soon be gazing upon Cherry Blossoms in Tokyo!! I can hardly wait to see the photographs!!

Did I tell you I went back to see Dr. Parillo last week because I still cannot hear? I did. He said he'd done all he knows how to do and in about fifteen minutes I go to see an ear doctor. When the scheduling girl told me his name I said, as in Phil Spector? Sort of. At least they share the same last name.

Which is causing me to sign off early for a change....

Hoping for a solution,

Gail

p.s. excuse any errors please...no time for editing!!

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety