Friday, August 18, 2017

Mostly I Walk

Slowly, but surely, we are chipping away at the things we need to live here, not merely stay here. Every day something new is needed, so I've found myself walking all over the city, well at least the downtown area which is absolutely filled with water fountains, outside office towers, and in seemingly every park, of which there are many that I pass by during my errands, beginning with the park adjacent to the condo.
Those folks that let their dog off leash also love to let them play around in this fountain!

I'll be the first to admit that I underestimated this whole move to Vancouver thing. Matt urged me to bring some things that meant something to us, however, buying the condo and selling the house took so much of our time and energy that I did not fully prepare for this move. Although I brought my favorite potato peeler with me, I did not think to bring my beloved can opener, thus it took me three trips to Winners before I finally found an OXO.
The kitchen here has one, but I'll be darned if I can work it properly. The condo is pretty, but it really needs some decorative items. I found the copper pitcher in the pantry, as well as the vase that I put to use with an orchid bloom I bought at Urban Faire, the nearby upscale grocery.
What would I do without Google? After asking multiple folks about a groomer with no success, I turned to my friend Google to find one within walking distance. It pained me to take him to a place that advertises "hip canine," but they did do a good job, so there's that.
Have I mentioned how much I love seeing the mountains at the end of streets? Because our first two weeks were marred by the lingering smoke, I had no idea they were so visible! I nearly missed Baxter's appointment because I'd got it into my head to use up the rest of my blueberries in a sour cream coffee cake, now that I have cinnamon thanks to this amazing care package Bonnie sent!!! Can you believe this??
Not so fast Gail! Although I'd walked to buy the brown sugar for a streusel topping, I'd completely overlooked the fact that I don't have any type of mixer to cream butter and sugar! Cue the grater (a find from Marshalls), and frozen butter. I mashed it all with my rubber spatula and a wooden spoon, taking way too much time. Looking at my watch, I realized it was almost his appointment time, and of course we were walking. I snatched him up, carrying him the five or so blocks to the place, making it just in time. Doesn't he look adorable, although she did miss a bit on his left floppy ear.
Amazingly, the coffee cake turned out nicely.
Even more amazing is that Baxter WALKED the whole way home. Count me completely shocked over that!

Later,  Bruce brought his boss Steve home, and we walked to go out to dinner. I may not be riding a bicycle these days, but my legs are sure getting a workout!  Let me show you a few water features I've come across. This one is in a park on Seymour Street.
A nearby courtyard...note the huge hydrangeas.
On Georgia Street adjacent to BC Hydro.
This is on the corner of Richards and Georgia..
What is not pictured above is a large area in front of this with colorful tables filled at the noon hour with Vancouverites enjoying the sun. I was on my way to Costco, unsuccessfully again! I might add. As I mentioned in my last post, they only take Mastercard, unlike in the States where they only take Visa. The fellow told me to get cash for the membership, then apply for their Mastercard. Got the cash, walked all the way back yesterday, only to be told I needed my passport! To tell you the truth, I was just plain tired yesterday, so I went back to the condo and stayed put for an afternoon. Good thing the movie making was still in full force to keep me entertained. All manner of folks have been lining up to see what they can see, as did I, however, the view from the balcony was pretty great. It began with a single truck..
and turned into what one woman I talked to described as an army of ants scurrying around doing their work. Speaking of women...
It must have been Wednesday morning when I went to mail a note in the post box adjacent to the site. I got to talking with one of the production assistants, basically young people who stand around with safety vests on, and who should get out of his car about twenty feet from me? Yup, the star, Ryan Reynolds. Sometimes it pays to be chatty. :)

Here he is later on, atop the huge vehicle they made in their production shop.
I've seen the term camera operator and now I know firsthand what it means. Take a closer look at one of the cameras.
Most of the folks were trying to take photos with their phones, however, it pays to have a real camera with a zoom lens if you really want to see what is happening. Here is Mr. Reynolds with his stunt man in front of him. A young Russian woman I met is a huge fan, asking me if I would send her some of my photos. I was happy to oblige.
Oh look, here he is again!
And yet again..
Note the masked double on the right.

From above the crew has their afternoon snack. The female lead is at the top of the shot, you will recognize her because she is the only one wearing a skin tight black outfit with gloves. The stunt man is walking in the middle wearing the black robe and a backwards ball cap. I guess I will have to wait to see the movie to find out who the fellow is that is a foot taller than everyone else.
As I type, they are tearing it all down. It took six full days to set it up, wonder how long it will take to remove everything? It will definitely make it easier for Bruce to get into the parking garage that's for sure!

On my first trip to Costco I came across the Andy Livingston Park near Chinatown where there is not one,
but two water foutains!
It may take me all year to discover the full list published here, but I think I will give it a go as I walk all over the city.
Although our pharmacist in Orlando said we could take our prescription to a pharmacy in Canada, we've learned it does not work quite that way. We learned we have to go into a walk in clinic (!) and have a Canadian doctor write the prescription which Bruce accomplished on Monday. Today is my turn at the Yaletown Medical Clinic. Seems weird to us, but we are learning you have to play by the rules to get things done.

Speaking of the post, it takes nearly two weeks for mail to travel to and from the US, should you be wondering. That will take some getting used to.

Time to put on my walking shoes...

yours truly,

Gail

p.s. I'd never even heard of Ryan Reynolds, not to mention Deadpool, but we watched it the other night and it is darn good, even for someone who HATES superhero movies.

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety