Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hither and Yon

Looking back on things, it does seem kind of crazy I did not know what was happening to me. No more so than on Saturday when we took a little trip to Steveston. But first we went to Richmond, a largely Asian community to meet up with the fellow who makes all of the furniture for Earls restaurants. By hand no less. Well, machines are involved, of course. Sewing machines and all manner of wood working tools. But, we'll get to that in a moment.

First, let's take the Canada Line to Broadway and Cambie Street, shall we?
The Canada Line actually runs from the waterfront all the way to both the airport and Richmond. Now you know.

Back in early July, the day we were having one of our two garage sales, we quit early to attend Judy's retirement party which was just lovely. So, not only was the party great, but Judy's sister Margie gave me a Lonely Planet guide to Vancouver and has it ever been helpful, with suggested neighborhood walks, points of interest, maps...the whole shebang. One place in the guide that I thought would be doable is the Vancouver City Hall, built in the depths of the depression in one year, at a huge monetary cost, with the then mayor having the idea to put people to work. I am a sucker for this sort of thing. Plus, I've got time on my hands. :)

Along the way, I came across these walking legs,
which according to this website, is a smaller version of ones found in Chicago's Grant Park.

Continuing uphill, I found what I was looking for.
One thing about Vancouver that I've noticed is there are people here with big dreams. I went searching for some information on Vancouver before Expo 86 and found these awesome photographs.
I love how the article begins with a description of modern Vancouver as a forest of glass condos. I wish I'd thought of that! It also notes how, False Creek, the water we overlook, was once a polluted mess that the city mulled over filling. Have I told you lately how much I love the internet? Reminds me a little of a town I know well.

The grounds are park-like, including a community garden, and indeed the building is impressive with marble walls, granite as well as gold elevators.
There is a lot more to Vancouver than the glitzy skyscrapers of downtown. Surrounding City Hall, the neighborhoods are filled with wonderful tree lined streets and old homes. This one is for sale, should you be in the market for some Pacific Northwest property.
This one was not.
Although there are loads of trees downtown, this might be the place I go to see the upcoming changing leaves as the weather has definitely changed for the cooler.

On the way back to the train, I saw this cute little birdie mural--still missing my birds!
I picked up a few produce items from a Chinese market adjacent to the station and back home for me.

Although we have talked about it ad nauseam, there is always more to say about stocking a place for living, not just staying. I have managed to accrue flour, sugar, cornmeal, rice, pasta, and that sort of thing, however what I did not have were containers in which to store them. Thinking back to the quality of goods I bought at YokoYama, the Japanese dollar store near Bruce's office, I set off on foot to purchase some things. Because his office sits adjacent to Chinatown, a Chinese grocery store makes sense doesn't it?
Holy Cow was it interesting! Their cases hold a wide variety of goods I have never seen before.
All flavors of tofu and fish related dishes above. One thing I have not found to my liking is how they sell butter in most of the places I've been. It is a one pound block, rather than sticks, which is fine for some things, but for baking, not so much. I can find sticks, but they are sold separately. and if you can imagine, they cost $2.79 for a stick. Or at Urban Fare a box of them cost $7.59. I purchased the only box they had at T & T for $4.49! Woo hoo! Last week I'd made brownies, mostly guessing on the butter, but now I know I have the right amount!

YokoYama had some remarable quality plastic boxes and containers for $2.00 a piece. I died laughing while reading the "caution" paperwork inside. You may, or may not, find it amusing.
Here's a cute little street scene for you.
Richmond would be like Winter Park is to Orlando, although mostly in a geographic sense. There are housing, retail, and warehouses. Our mission was the later, visiting Bari Design's workspaces. Giovanni took us upstairs to his office, serving Bruce espresso, while I made several bathroom trips.
He must have thought I was crazy, visiting the bathroom four times during our time together!
This is an example of seating for Earls,  ready to head to the paint shop. Made of walnut, the workmanship is impeccable.
It has been a long time since I've seen one of these.
In true Italian fashion, he was an animated host, who, when I asked if he would lead us to the water before we drove back to the city,  he suggested we might want to go to Steveston Village nearby. Then, he led us there, taking us on the back roads which are still quite rural.
Dotted with both 10 million dollar mansions and pumpkin and cabbage fields, the drive was a welcome respite from steel and glass. Then we got to the village which was as charming as he'd described, filled with all manner of waterside restaurants,
as well as a toy shop that would be any child's dream.
We ate scrumptious waffle cones filled with, in my case, raspberry sorbet, while Giovanni showed us the way to the park. We passed this museum along our way.
We also came across this memorial for local lives lost at sea, with a fisherman's needle for repairing nets as the centerpiece.
Perhaps you heard of this awful recent incident that occurred close to this location? You've got to see it to believe it.
I loved seeing the grittier fishing boats as opposed to the yachts I see daily. People line up to purchase the fresh catches of the day, including what is quite the tip off that this is not New England shown in the photo below.
Only about three trips to the bathroom on this part of the excursion and I began to think things were not quite right. We spent a quiet night at home, the doctor's visit on the following day, and I rested at home on Monday, finally finishing the quilt I'd brought with us. How happy I am to have the familiar amongst all of this strangeness.
Yesterday I was feeling much improved, however, the weather was not to my liking. And so it begins. The rainy season. This photo shows so much that to a casual observer might mean nothing. This is the small grocery store I frequent on Seymour. There are bike racks pictured, wide sidewalks, wet streets, Lotto, the multitude of recycling cans found on some streets, and the Georgia Straight paper box where we pick up the free weekly paper keeping us in the know.
Several friends sent me the link to 36 Hours in Vancouver, found in the New York Times this past Sunday. Don't believe it friends....way too ambitious, not to mention wildly expensive. When I had not visited places, I used to believe these guides, but trust me, there is no way, even with transit, that you could travel to Richmond, see the sights they mention, eat a big meal and be back downtown in two hours. Just not feasible. Instead, now I know from first hand experience that those guides are better suited for picking your own adventure. Duly noted.

On the upswing, and it is not raining so far...hurray!

yours truly,

Gail


No comments:

So This is Springtime