Thursday, November 16, 2017

Welcome to November!

If someone were to have told me six months ago that I would voluntarily go out in miserable weather, frankly, I would have thought they did not know me very well. Look who is eating crow now.

Me, that's who! I am learning the value of layering. I am also learning that there is no getting dressed in a hurry, unless you, like me, leave your pajama top on, throw on some jeans, jacket and shoes and take your dog downstairs as fast as possible upon first rising. I miss Bruce when he is gone for many reasons, one of which is his taking Baxter down first thing, wearing sandals no less.

Zarita guaranteed me that it would rain every single day in November, and although that hasn't been entirely true, it has not been too far off. Not rain like we get in Florida, I really think you have to experience it firsthand to understand how it is different. This week, particularly Monday and Tuesday, the wind has been super strong as well, knocking down more leaves than you can shake a stick at. The park lawn, from twenty floors above, looks as if it were strewn with confetti.
On Monday morning I walked to DressSew for Christmas ornament inspiration. I found none. Perhaps I'm thinking too ambitiously regarding our tree? From there I walked to Michael's on Alberni Street for the same thing, the route taking me by the Convention Center, and I thought this picture would give you a notion of what the sky is like with the clouds hanging so low.
I understand that blue sphere-like sculpture is meant to represent a rain drop. But, of course. Michael's was the same so I just came on home. Fortunately I got home before the rain began again!

Waking up to more of the same on Tuesday, I could have stayed home and brooded. Instead, after having a good conversation with Pam, followed by some texting with Sally, I readied myself for going out in the weather. Sally had sent me a picture of a bird, which made me seriously want to find some birds of my own, and the only ones, aside from crows and seagulls, that I thought I knew about were some Wood Ducks I'd seen in Stanley Park. So, I put on my super warm tights, jeans, a blouse followed by a super warm pullover, followed by my rain jacket, followed by a semi-waterproof coat. Socks and water proof shoes and I was ready to go. I nearly forgot the gloves I packed, as well as my new wool felt hat. All ready to brave the elements!!

Beginning my walk along the seawall, I was nearly a solitary figure out there. But wait...what am I seeing in the water? Holy Cow, some super cool ducks!
And lots of them!! That will get a bird lover excited, seeing a new type of water fowl. I only learned what kind they were when I returned home...more about that later.

See, nobody else was crazy enough to be out walking! Just me and the seagulls.
Crossing the street just before the park entrance, well, need I even remark on this photograph?
The rain may be a nuisance, but it sure makes the colors pop under the dim light! Who doesn't love a bush covered in red berries?
After entering the park, what should I see? Why, a film shoot of course! Three giant tents and tons of trucks clued me in that something was up.  On sidewalk and muddy paths, I made my way to the pond with the little bridge over it. Guess what? Not a duck to be found. Standing there in the drizzly rain, very disappointed, that is until, oh my goodness, a whole bunch of songbirds appeared, most of which I did not recognize. So, new ducks, and now new birds, what more could a girl ask for?  As they were flitting around me, and in some cases right at me, I tried to get some shots that weren't blurry from either their movement, or mine. I never could get a perfect one of this little cutie that I've now learned is a Black Capped Chickadee.
As I was looking and shooting, to and fro, all of a sudden this guy appeared below the bridge!
Meanwhile birds are landing on the bridge on the top rail and I'm, well, you guessed it, excited AND wet. Not really wet, because of all of my precautions, but let's face it, I'm not used to this kind of weather. So the raccoon heads back to the den, and I keep setting the ISO (film speed) higher, finally getting one shot I was most happy with. I learned from Pam that this beautiful bird is a Spotted Towhee.
Eventually I had had enough fun, making my way home during intermittent rain. Some folks might call it trudging. :) By the time I got upstairs, Baxter was just fine, not wet, but ready to go downstairs. That's how it works, I go out for a while, come in, put my bag down, and we head to the elevator. I think the medicine is doing its magic as he's only had about one wet pad since we started on Monday night. That is some good news!

Wednesday morning, after a night of rain pelting the windows along with the banners on the bridge snapping in the wind, around 8:00, it suddenly stopped. Well, after throwing out about seventy photos from the previous day, I had to make a return visit in the subdued sunshine. Putting on a similar amount of clothes, I headed to the seawall, where today there were others who were taking advantage of a little sunshine. I was hoping to get a better shot of those cool ducks, and my hopes were completely realized!
Now you can see why they are called Common Goldeneye Ducks. As well, I'd read that although the male's head looks black from afar, it really is a dark iridescent green, that I hope you can see for yourself. The female, as is so common in the avian family, is way more subdued, but pretty nonetheless. I probably saw a hundred or more before my walk was over. Call me smitten.
I am way over seagulls, but this shot with one about to land was pretty neat.
Tracing my steps from the previous day, I walked on concrete paths as well as grass, taking a somewhat diagonal route, and look what I came across. Crazy wet tail, don't you agree?
The closer I got to the pond, the happier I was, thinking it would be a cinch today, what with more light, and the camera settings already in place for action. Except, when I arrived there was nary a bird. Not one. Well, drat!! Standing there quietly, I kept hoping to hear some bird chattering or movement in the bushes. Just as I was ready to give up, lo and behold, I spotted a Towhee who instead of flitting around, posed for me.
Such a little fatty! Now I could make out how complex the feather pattern is, with multiple shades on the head, with those cute spots and white on the tail feathers.
Then, of course, there is the orange color. :)

There are actually two bridges in that area, one wooden, and one sort of a concrete arch type, and it was while I was standing on the concrete one, when what to my wondering eyes should appear, but birdies right next to me.
I have no idea what the one above is, nor really, do I know the one below, that looks super cute from the side,
and oh so amazing from the back. Those rows and rows of feathers!
As you can imagine, I was thrilled to see the little ones, but I still wasn't ready to give up on the Wood Ducks while it was still relatively sunny, albeit with temperatures in the middle 40's. I might has well have given up because I saw none even after walking down to the Lagoon, however, on my walk back towards the pond, I saw a cute little finch hopping amongst the garden debris.
Do you ever wonder how I choose what photographs to put on my blog? Sometimes it is because a story can be woven around them, but in the case of the finch, the bird clarity is not great, however,  I just loved all the natural textures and the cool color on the leaves. So, in a nutshell, sometimes it is because I just happen to like the photo, hoping you do as well.

Crossing some grassy areas, I thought since we'd seen the black squirrel, we might just as well see the ones that are similar to those back home.
Prior to yesterday, I had not gone down to the seawall in this area known as Second Beach, but now I have, taking the pictured steps down. Who does not love a windy staircase, pray tell?
I was getting a wee bit anxious as the cloud cover began to mount, so after admiring another fifty or so of those cool ducks, I began the walk towards home. There are fallen leaves just about everywhere, including amongst the beachside rocks.
Occasionally, a photographic opportunity presents itself and you never really know how it will turn out. In this instance, I was intrigued with the color of the fading hydrangea bloom and I have to say, I'm quite happy with the results. Isn't it such a lovely shade of green?
Walking home along Beach Avenue, I brought my camera out, trying to show you how neat this little tunnel of yellow is to walk through, when some young men behind me stopped, allowing me to take my shot. After explaining my thoughts, they both immediately brought out their phones to try and do likewise.
Finally, as I neared the condo, these fallen leaves, turned over by the wind and rain, were just waiting to be documented. Again, sometimes it is that kind of inspiration that can yield big results.
Looking through my photographs, trying to pick thirteen for my annual calendar, I was amazed to learn that fall colors began about mid-September, and although lots are now in compost heaps somewhere, there are still pockets of color just waiting to have their picture made.

And I know just the gal to do it!!

yours truly,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead