Friday, March 16, 2018

Beautiful British Columbia

Unlike in Florida, where we have more license plates than you can count, here there is but one, placed on both the front and back of the vehicle, reading, "Beautiful British Columbia." From our limited exposure,  there is no arguing with that.

Saturday we planned a small trip to Lynn Canyon Park on the North Shore, heading that way just after lunch. The plan was for me to walk to the office, arrive by noon, and we would be on our way. I began my walk on Pacific Avenue where I first encountered four folks in costume as they passed me by. ???? Why is that super tall man wearing a mullet wig? Walking up Beatty Street, I encountered more folks wearing costumes at noon on a sunny Saturday. What the heck?
As it turns out, while walking past BC Place, I learned that there was a weekend of Rugby, an international tournament called Rugby 7, going on. Apparently groups wearing costumes is what you do when you attend this kind of event, or so it seemed to me as I continued my walk. In a first for this blog space, may I present these fellows who were actually part of a group of about ten guys?
You've got to love the "bunny" wearing a fanny pack, right? Completely comfortable, or so it appeared, they walked along as if it were the most natural thing in the world.
Oh Vancouver, what will you serve up next?

I arrived, Bruce closed down his computer, and we were off, taking Hastings toward Canada One, the only expressway in town.
One of the reasons to love Vancouver is the proximity of the mountains which are very close. I went from my view of grown men wearing bunny costumes to the neighborhood leading to the canyon in about twenty minutes or so.
Because the day was so fetching, a good many other folks had the same idea, however, eventually we found a parking spot and immediately were crazy impressed with the natural beauty.
We made our way to the suspension bridge which is narrow, 164 feet above the canyon floor. One thing that drives me crazy is the preponderance of people for taking their dogs everywhere, including this narrow bridge!
The bridge sways a little, especially when multiple people are crossing, however, if you are bold, you can stop and take a photograph of the magnificent view below.
Leaving the roaring water behind, you enter a beautiful forest of soaring Douglas Fir and Western Red Cedar trees.
Walking along both a trail and boardwalk, we made our way down, down, down, to the water's edge,
passing fallen trees, huge boulders, as well as some snow along the way.
Holy Cow is it beautiful, with a deep pool of astonishingly green water with one of several Buddhist monks thrown in for good measure.
There was an older man diving into the water after climbing up a rock face.
And here he goes...
Splash!
Can you imagine doing this? Aside from the ice cold water, jumping??? Claiming he'd done it hundreds of times, it still scared me watching him go off backwards!

We thought the steps we climbed led to a waterfall, however, after heading upwards like ten stories of a building, we learned that we were misinformed! Some folks can do this with ease, however, not these folks.
Asking a local woman directions, she explained that we could either go back the way we came, or head through the forest. We chose the former. Back through the dappled sunlight of the forest we went.
Over the bridge,
looking for a place to eat! The tree, just behind Bruce's right hand, has a little emblem reading "BP."
After sharing a yummy Thai noodle salad, we went in search of other waterfalls we'd seen on the park map. What puzzles me about the area below is how the ice/snow remains in the sunny part of the trail.
Again we walked down steps, again very far down, eventually coming to the small bridge spanning the canyon where we saw what they call Twin Falls. So beautiful and peaceful.
Talk about some powerful water! Loud too. I mentioned to Bruce early on that I felt confidant my photographs would not do the scenery justice which most certainly turned out to be prophetic. Perhaps there is no capturing the sights and sounds, and the feeling of being so small?
Another view of the water.
Both of us were overwhelmed with gratitude that we had the privilege of visiting such a beautiful place. Of course we did have to walk all the way back up, but it was worth every step with views of the waterfalls and bridge through the trees.
During my April 2015 visit to Vancouver, I went, per a suggestion, to Capilano Suspension Bridge, and while it was super great, it also has a pretty steep admission price. I can't imagine I spent $42 to scare myself silly, however that is what the website states as the price. From what I now know, the locals take in the gorgeous scenery for free at Lynn Valley Park.

The license plates do not lie--Beautiful British Columbia-- indeed.

In other news, I've seen loads of good stuff this week, including a bed of tulips! Plus, the weather has been manageable, a couple of gray days that make you appreciate the gorgeous ones. The temperature has been in the mid 40's to 50's, very comfortable with the right clothing. Meaning only one layer and a coat, much to my joy. Then too, the days are lengthening so fast, it is crazy. Whereas the daylight lasted a little more than eight hours in December, here we are in the middle of March, and there is light for nearly twelve hours. Pretty fantastic all around.

yours truly,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety