Sunday, July 29, 2018

The Open Road

When you travel through four states with a combined population of just a bit over 4 million people, I suppose empty roads are to be expected. We've combined both country roads and the interstate and in some states they were equally as empty. When last I posted, we were in Montana and I said time would tell what I thought. Well friends, we thought it was magnificent.
Heading west we began in quite empty lands, followed by driving the winding roads through the Lewis and Clark National Forest. Clarification--Bruce drove!
The scenery was varied, gorgeous, gorgeous. As you can tell we were using the back roads and what a blessing it was.
Our mission was to get to Wyoming and spend the night in Gillette, a small town that has hotels. One thing out here that is a bit of a challenge is the lack of both towns and hotels so planning is well, quite the challenge.
The wide open spaces are so good for the soul. Just before we arrived in Gillette, while getting gas and using the facilities, I picked up a tourist brochure with Devils Tower on the cover, a place I'd read about and then promptly forgot. Honey, we must go there on our way to South Dakota!!!
And so we did. There is so much to say about that incredible land formation but in this post, a single photo will have to do. Once we are home I will blog about each state, but for now, I am merely just trying to stay in touch.
And let everyone know that we are doing fantastic! Soon after leaving here, we crossed the South Dakota line. Surprise!! Empty roads and beautiful scenery!
Before leaving Vancouver, I got it into my head that I really wanted to see Mt. Rushmore. Well, now we have and I can report it was very much worth the effort.
Up until then, the weather was great, mostly clear skies and temperatures in the middle 70's. Leaving Mt. Rushmore it absolutely poured! Since leaving Orlando we'd not seen a huge rainstorm, but now we have. The good news is that a rainbow followed!
Every one of these states are huge so getting across one state in a day is pretty much an impossibility if you don't want to ride in a car the whole day. The following day we headed to the Badlands. Again, so much to say with so little time to say it. Our first stop was Wall Drugs, advertised every mile or so along the highway.
Walls Drugs was a hoot, and quite the contrast to the strange world we were soon to see along a 20 mile loop off the interstate. Mostly what I can say is that pictures do not do it justice.
Sioux Falls, SD last night, Iowa today! Because we'd spent all of yesterday on the Interstate, I convinced B to take the back roads. More beauty. Lots and lots of corn fields that were beautiful. So much green.
Six or so hours in, we got back on the highway, only to exit once again because I'd seen that we were in The Bridges of Madison County country. Suffice it to say that we went to one of them.
Finally, one of the reasons we went through Iowa was to visit the Olive Garden Bruce built in Coralville. I will tell you more about it later but suffice it to say 9/11 is involved. Sadly, something went awry with my photo but I'm including it because I am so proud of him.
And now it is way too late for a traveling girl so I'm saying goodbye for now.

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety