Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Many of my Loves

I must admit, I'm ashamed of myself that I'd not taken the time to meet our next door neighbor. Now, that misdeed is rectified as I went over, knocked on the door, and ended up having a wonderful, hour- long chat with her. In my defense, for the longest time I wasn't even sure anyone lived there because I can see right into the living area from our back yard. Our places are that close. After a time I noticed that the bedroom curtains closed each night, so there was the sign I needed. Except, initiative failed me. Monday evening Sherry and Jan encouraged me to meet her while telling me how nice she is. How right they were! She is 96 and lives by herself, although these days she is mostly homebound, having given up her car earlier in the year. Our conversation ranged from family talk to old Orlando talk. I've made some blueberry muffins that I'll be taking to her when I finish with this. Why did I wait so long?

Speaking of baking, Kelly came for a visit Friday morning, returning a camera I loaned her years ago, so long in fact, I'd forgotten all about it. We had a lot of catching up to do over tea and banana bread. The tea was good, the bread not so much. It sunk in the middle and was frankly, mediocre. She claimed she did not even notice. One thing I've recently made that did turn out well was this scrumptious lemon tart.
What a quick and yummy desert, especially when you have crusts in your freezer just waiting for a filling. I've tried to carve out some time for sewing, making this blouse that is drying in the sun as I pricked my finger while sewing on the buttons. Drenching it with peroxide works like magic.
Cheerful, right? As well, I made a dress using some fabric given to me by Irene. What is so special, at least to me, is that one of my most favorite scrub tups, one I wore for years, was made from this very same fabric! Another pictured gift is the box of straight pins Nancy brought home from Paris.
Looking at the photograph, I'm pretty confidant those scissors belonged to Bruce's Mom. That is a lot of history for one dress, something that doesn't come with off the rack clothing. :)

How lucky are we to have two of our boys so close to home? I wish all four of them lived here!
Matt and Tom will be visiting in late June and I so hope the Wood Ducks are still around for them to enjoy. This pair came right up into the backyard.
Speaking of the back, Mr. Peck in action cleaning those windows and screens.
How clean and bright are those windows? You tell me.
It is simply glorious taking a shower and watching nature through clean windows. Seriously, when we bought this place I never imagined how much nature we would see. Writing a letter to Dale in Vancouver, I decided to make a list of what I've seen since we've been here. He doesn't read my blog, having no computer, so he has not been privy to all that you have seen. Frankly I was even surprised when I wrote it down, and I think, for posterity, I will do the same here.

Ready?

  1. Great Blue Herons
  2. White Ibis by the dozens
  3. Great Egrets
  4. Snowy Egrets
  5. Limpkins
  6. Green Heron
  7. Greater Cormorants
  8. White Pelicans
  9. Mute Swan
  10. Merganser Duck
  11. Mottled Ducks
  12. Wood Ducks and ducklings
  13. Otters
  14. Opossums
  15. Barred Owls
  16. Red Shouldered Hawk
  17. Little Blue Herons
  18. Wood Storks
Incredible and exciting all rolled into one, made even more so because of how unexpected it has been. We miss our home every now and again, however, this sure has made the transition easier! As has meeting new people who may ultimately become real friends. 

Earlier I mentioned that one of the original residents died and the memorial was held on Sunday afternoon at Dubsdread. We'd not been in this room for twenty years, since the time Bruce's parents held a 25th wedding anniversary party there for us. 
We knew Willie both in person, and from the stories he'd tell Bill and David which eventually funneled to us. He accomplished a lot in his 92 years, including receiving the keys to Miami, his hometown.
It was a large gathering of people from all walks of life, although heavy on attorneys, one of whom we had not seen in more years than I can count. Roger grew up on Nancy Street with Bruce.
Although people keep moving to Orlando in record numbers every single day, at its heart, Orlando is still a small town.

Why, when it is so blasted hot, they keep coming, is beyond me. 89 degrees on Monday. Yup. 

David asked if I would take over content for the Lake Pineloch Village Community Facebook page and I'm sure you can imagine why. Who else in the community is crazy enough to take photographs most every day?
Telling me the story of how a youngish resident mentioned to him how lame the page was, he hoped I might be able to reverse that impression. We shall see how it goes.

And now to take those muffins over to Ann...

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead