Monday, April 15, 2019

More Nature

When I was making the list of all of the nature I've seen while here, how I forgot to include squirrels is beyond me because there are more than you can count on the property.
The Opossum is back both in the trees, and on the ground seen by both of us eating the birdseed our neighbor Julie puts on the shoreline for the ducks. So, thinking that my list would be complete, along comes a very large raccoon that was having a drink in the lake. I spotted it through the window, went outside for a photograph; it stood up and stared at me before scampering away along the shoreline.
It was a big one that's for sure. Speaking of the shoreline, the lake level has gone done during our mostly dry winter and for some reason the Mallard ducks did not seem bothered by me while I was in very close proximity. While prior to moving here my interest was primarily in songbirds, I now can't seem to get enough of the ducks with their intricate feather patterns.
That is not to say I'm no longer a songbird fan because Lord knows if I saw more of them they would still rank #1 with me, but wading and shorebirds are certainly much easier to photograph!  That said, watching this Tufted Titmouse on our front porch was pure delight and I even managed a shot.
A little explanation is in order here...that box was a gift of succulents Maureen received that was overwatered by the staff, so I brought it home for some TLC. The moss covering the top must make for good nest material, thus he is trying to carry some away! Watching through the kitchen window was super good, and got even better when a Downy Woodpecker showed up to feed.
Occasionally we had these cute birds at our home, however every photograph I've ever taken before  has been from the back to show off the red plumage. Never have I actually seen the reason for their name, but now I have, and so have you!

Remember how Bruce just washed our windows? Well the maintenance guys came by last week and cleaned the roofs of the carports. So much for that.
Actually, once I told them they kindly washed it again. Because of the huge number of large oak trees here, keeping anything leaf-free is quite the chore.

Michelle decided to give Dave his own little party and you know how she loves surprise parties, don't you? About an hour or so before everyone was to gather at the big pool, the sky looked as if rain would be imminent.
Alas, it held off and I was tasked with keeping David occupied while Michelle got the cake and readied things. We had a chat out back, ensuring he didn't see a thing, and after dropping Grace (their cute dog) off, we walked to the pool. As we arrived, he stopped to talk to some folks giving me just enough time to get some shots as he realized what was happening.
He was flabbergasted, then pleased as this photo of him smiling demonstrates.
Why would I mention that he's smiling? It's a bit of a joke around our family because ever since he and Bill did some modeling, they keep a straight face while a picture is taken. Generally no attempt to make them smile works, thus seeing this photo made me very happy.
Ice cream cake + outdoor party + hot weather== hurry up and blow out the candles!! That ominous sky made for a dramatic sunset later on.
Finally I got out on my bicycle again, riding down Mills into Lancaster Park with a trip to Lake Lancaster to see what was happening there. Not that I don't have enough action right here at home, but can you ever have too much? I think not!
Around the corner from the above shot, there is a small wall that I stopped to peer over, finding these ducklings high-tailing it to the middle of the lake without their mother!
It surprised me so the photo isn't great, but I thought you might think it was kind of fun. Eventually they found their mother and hopefully they will make it. Just yesterday afternoon I saw three ducklings on our lake and when I empty the camera card I will see if the photo turned out well enough for sharing. This afternoon they are nowhere to be found.

While riding through that neighborhood, filled with beautiful old homes, I came across this...
I wonder why that fellow was spraying water on the proceedings? I rode further and on my return back through, the garage was already felled. Doesn't take too long to erase a whole lot of history does it? Speaking of which, I am typing this as the fire rages in Notre Dame, a most horrible occurrence. Unimaginable actually. In my youth I was a huge lover of all things French and while visiting the city with Bruce many years ago, seeing the cathedral was, of course, a highlight. Many of you, no doubt, have your own memories of seeing it for the first time. Just heartbreaking.

The weather was very comfortable the day I took this:
So red, so blue!

Saturday, on the other hand, the temperature rose to 92 degrees!! How will I ever survive?

We spent some time with our finances this past week, as well as had Matt Manning come over for the final bathroom measurements. I can hardly wait for that! That said, making those big choices is always a little scary, don't you think?

I found something way cool in the front of the property near the raised bed gardens. Seemingly, in the past, someone has thrown old tomato plants to the side. They may have been lost, but not forgotten because there are probably fifteen plants, laying on their side, that produce the sweetest little tomatoes.
Not only are they cute but sweet too!

Today was Days for Girls as well as Tax Day. The former was good, the later, well it was complicated for our CPA because last year Bruce had to pay Canadian taxes, which explains the nearly late filing. Glad that is behind us!

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety