Monday, July 6, 2020

And So It Continues

I've no doubt that there are those amongst my readers that could have seen this coming, but not this blogger. Although there are what I consider plenty of benefits to being an optimist, it does mean that sometimes you are let down, not often, mind you, but it happens. And so it is that I am still in shock that here we are, four months into the pandemic with seemingly no end in sight. And now we know someone who has tested positive and it is not Maureen. No, Bruce's brother Cris has tested positive and is currently in the hospital, although at this point it is not a severe case, something we obviously hope remains so. While we were having a two hour long birthday Facetime chat with Matt yesterday, we talked about how if Cris could get it, in spite of almost never leaving the house, anyone can. That's the scary part, don't you agree? I will post more news when I have it. Please keep Judy, Cris, Katie and Jessica in your prayers.

This will be a dull post as I've not much news to report. The previous week there were no field trips and the lake is quiet now, what with all of the ducklings grown and gone. The otters continue their antics and there are a lot of hawks screaming most days, but aside from that, not much is happening. There are the summer rains most days for which we are grateful. Bruce worked over at Bill's house two days last week and on one of those days, I decided to head downtown to see what all the fuss was about. Fuss? Maybe that is too strong of a word to use for this, but it has upset some folks. Here, as in other cities across the nation, the leaders decided it would be a good idea to show the BLM movement support and paint those letters on Rosalind to Robinson. For those not from here, this is a main one way artery through downtown on the edge of Lake Eola. Before the sealer was applied it had been defaced and by folks that might surprise you, or at least it did me. Activists within the movement called it pandering, and not doing enough, so they spray painted on some of the letters. I drove over, parking on Rosalind to see it for myself. A police car was two spots behind me keeping an eye on it, or so I presume. 
Unless you are in a low flying aircraft, you hardly notice it which may or may not be a good thing.

With that out of the way, I decided to take a stroll around the lake, keeping my distance from others. For the most part, it all looks the same, so much so that when I saw this large group of swans and ducks, I was transported back to a photograph I'd taken of Matthew when he was but two years old after we'd returned from our year in California. He is standing on this very peninsula marveling at the scene before him. And now he has turned 44 years old and I'm still doing the same old thing. I NEED AN ADVENTURE!!!
We all need an adventure! 
Which reminds me of two things. One, I am reading a book that is just wonderful, A Gentleman in Moscow, somewhat timely as it concerns an enemy of the state who is sentenced to house arrest in a beautiful hotel. It is witty, beautifully written, and filled with historical references. Seriously, one of the best books I've read in a good long while and I picked it up from that little library at the park we visited. What a find! Secondly, while there are folks who are far more well read than myself, I have read my fair share of fiction over my 61 years of reading. My childhood, in most people's mind, would not be considered ideal, so reading provided me with an escape from the tyranny of my Mother and the physical punishments from my Father. Suffice it to say, it is a wonder we all made it. That said, how I never read Anne of Green Gables before is beyond me. July 4th the weather was great until about mid-day, and then it became stormy and gloomy sending us from the pool to our living room where we began watching Anne with an E on Netflix. I was hoping Bruce would enjoy it and that hope came true as we both were swept into Anne's world. Beginning about five in the afternoon, fireworks were exploding all around us and as  darkness fell, well, I've never before heard so many fireworks in my life. Earlier I'd been lamenting the cancellation of our party and fireworks display due to Covid-19, but I needn't have worried because all around us, people were going crazy. Eventually I went outside and saw them from across the lake.
That said, we were so enthralled with Anne that the fireworks did not hold my interest for long. We are now in the second season and are thoroughly enjoying it. Very soon I may just have to rectify that hole and read the real thing.

I saw a few things of note while at Lake Eola, one, a Tri Colored Heron doing it's best to learn to fly.
I'm thinking this is one of the parents although I cannot be sure because of the color of the legs.
That was one highlight, and it is always great to get a photo of a landmark, in this instance the bandshell, in a perfect reflection on the lake.
The area with the two palm trees is where the majority of the nesting birds reside. If you've ever been to Lake Eola, the fountain is the centerpiece, however, on this day it was undergoing a thorough cleaning, so no shooting water to be seen. I wonder what is behind those open doors, don't you?
Our friend Susan just bought a condo on the South end of Cocoa Beach and I mentioned to her that it was quite near to the sight where I took one of my most popular photographs when I was selling. This led to her wondering if I had others from Cocoa, which led me back in time through Google photos (formerly Picasa) where I have loads of old albums stored. This led me to thinking about beach photos I've taken since I bought this new computer which led me....you get the idea. Anyway, having already mentioned I needed an adventure, I took one via my photographs, reliving our trip out to Vancouver which I turned into a book. Or, at least I've ordered it. That was a fun trip down memory lane, and one I now won't forget. 

One evening, after some serious storming in the late afternoon and evening, Bruce went fishing and holy cow, he caught six in a span of 90 minutes! I walked down to the lake to wait for him at sunset.
Here is a better look at the astonishing growth of our tree after only about 15 months. It was below the wall when we bought it and soon it will be up to our neighbor's brick!
Clemons has been chock full of beautiful peaches from South Carolina, sweet and juicy, that we've been enjoying on Cheerios. 
Matt spoke with us about his concern regarding our playing pickleball with others which we are now considering although it does allow for social distancing, he is worried about us touching the balls. It seems as if our roles are now reversed, where he worries about us rather than the other way around. I believe Bruce told him we will be exceedingly careful in the future. Most days though, it is just Bruce and I practicing for as long as we can stand both the exertion, and the heat. Rarely do I take my camera, however that is all changing because, well, tell me what you see in the photo below.
Yes, there is a blue sky with a tree in the lower left corner and not much else. Obviously this is not the photograph I'd like to be posting, but it is what it is. (I hate that saying but it seems fitting here) One day, the American Kestral perched on that bare branch close enough for me to get a good shot, but I did not have my camera with me!!! So, the ensuing days I brought it to the court, only to have another sighting that went undocumented because for some reason the camera card was locked! Of course this morning, when I had sorted out any potential pitfalls, the Kestral remained on the power pole, far too high for a good shot. Damn and double damn! I intend to keep trying though because every day, being pretty much the same, ensures that I will be returning, sooner rather than later. 

Oh how I so wish this would all come to an end but even the optimist in me is losing hope.

your friend,

Gail

p.s. It should be noted that I hold no grudge against my parents for my upbringing, rather I like to hope that they did the best they could. The statute of limitations on their crimes ran out long ago.

4 comments:

Polly said...

I always love your posts, Gail. Love, your friend in optimism! xo Polly

Gail Peck said...

You are so sweet Polly.It makes me happy to think that we are kindred spirits.

Katrina from Central Florida said...

Thanks, Gail,

I thought I'd scan, read only your headline, but you hooked me and I read the entire post. Thank you for sharing your gifts. Ray and I are being extremely cautious but still very concerned that we are so vulnerable. Thank goodness for FaceBook, Zoom, Email, online puzzles and games, wonderful movies. We loved Anne with an E. It was our fallback after watching anything brutal - a palate cleansing. Sending healing energy for Bruce's brother, Cris.

Have you read Educated? I loved it.

Ray and I are planning a Staycation to replace our cancelled vacation trip to California. Looking forward to a lot of reading, puzzles, yoga, meditation, cleanup projects, traveling to National Parks online, and who knows what else we'll do. The nicest part is there will be no packing/unpacking or airport waits, and our dog will be with us!

Gail Peck said...

Katrina, I am embarrassed to say that I am drawing a blank on how I know you. Please forgive me and I'm hoping you will see this and set me straight!

A Week Ago Tuesday