Friday, April 5, 2019

Friday, Already?

You often hear people say that once they are retired, they wonder how they found time for a job. Entirely true. Not that I have held a job for a long time, but watching it happen with Bruce has been fascinating. With him home now, the majority of the time, I'm busier than ever and the weeks are flying by.

Let's start with something beautiful I saw this week along the property canal. Who planted it is a mystery to me, but I am sure glad they did because what a beautiful sight to encounter!
When last we met, I mentioned the birthday cookout for Bill and Dave's 40th where they did all of the cooking. Bill loves to grill shrimp.
Nancy was still here, so she joined the festivities...
Michelle loves party favors, think my giant 65 birthday balloons, however, David said only something small, thus the 40 "necklaces." I fried some okra and made a big bowl of potato salad that folks are getting into below.
I'd made some earlier in the week and Fallon (blond), said she was dying for some and when your daughter-in-law says she's dying for something, you deliver. Just before night fall I'd taken my camera home and wouldn't you know it, an owl landed on the beach, eventually flying into the tree by the time I returned with my Olympus!
Heading back to Dave and Michelle's, the "boys" cut their cake with Michelle insisting they do it together for fun. Bill was keen on that for a moment, thus this funny shot of him pulling back in a hurry.
I guess by the time a twin is 40 they are accustomed to sharing a cake, but you have to wonder as a singleton, what it feels like to be a twin. I've read that the relationship between identical twins is pretty much the closest human relationship possible. Have you ever read much about identical twins? Probably not, but it is a fascinating topic that we've been privileged to witness in person.

Well, I got five photos deep before a bird came into the picture, so to speak.
How a Mute Swan ended up in Lake Willisara is beyond me. I have, on the other hand seen a Tri-Colored Heron before, but they are so awesome, well, why not share?
Boo hoo and boo hoo some more. This little family is now missing all of their ducklings. (another set than I previously showed you) Within a matter of a day or two and they had vanished.
The guest bathroom is getting a makeover with a new floor and shower tile...thinking of this combo.
I try to be plain, but then again, where's the fun in that?

Lovely to spend a fun evening with our friends at the Citrus Club where the sunset view is fab.
As if I don't get enough birds at home, I asked Bruce if he were up to a trip to Gatorland to witness the breeding birds in action. He's such a good guy.
Stopping first to say hello to the Flamingos,
we made our way over to the breeding marsh where there are hundreds of wading birds, nests, chicks and of course gators!
Standing in line who should we see but Sally, one of the Southern Oak gang, who was there to photograph the birds as well. It was fun having someone to share the joy of bird watching with. Not that Bruce isn't good about it, but his enthusiasm has its limits! Seriously how can a person not go crazy when stuff like this happens right in front of you?
That blue bill is fantastic. Their eggs are blue too. Say that a few times fast!
You can tell breeding birds primarily from their color changes, in both the beak, and sometimes the feet. Of course when this happens, well you know it is breeding season.
Usually Anhingas are not at the top of my list, but goodness, during this time of the year, look how cool they look. Sally and I watched in fascination as the bird kept moving his wings while on the branch. Words fail, maybe a picture will do the trick?
Just when I explained about the color changes, I have to add one more change to the list--that turquoise ring around the eye. The object of his affection?
This is a Snowy Egret having quite the hair day.
The Great Egret chicks kept up some serious racket with the parent all but ignoring them.
Some entertainment,
although for the life of me I could not figure out what was going on except for the beautiful eggs. This was a sad nest of Snowy Egrets because one of the chicks is dead, perhaps making them squawk all the more?
Okay, I suspect you've had enough of the birds, so what else is there to see at Gatorland? How about a Florida Panther?
Tilapia anyone?
Plenty of children cooling off on a warm Spring day.
Seriously, if I haven't convinced you that you need to go see it for yourself, that is a shame. So unique, free parking, and a reasonable admission price. What's not to like? Did I say free parking? Why, yes I did.

Goodness knows, look who came to visit us when we returned home?
In other news, Bruce both washed our windows (!), and took a tumble while we were attempting to hit some tennis balls. It was pretty comical watching the two of us miss most of the balls, until one just got away from Bruce, and then it wasn't so fun,  however, his scrapes are mending in record time, and his aches are diminishing by the day. Thank God it wasn't any worse.

Two kids still in love.

your friend,

Gail


No comments:

Back at the Homestead