Thursday, April 2, 2009

Holy Cow!

Yesterday morning I woke up to another dreary day. Not knowing just what to do with myself I wasn't doing much of anything. I do know I was going to write about my $40 vacuum cleaner bags, but that's old news now. After walking Baxter I returned to my computer to find this:

Just before I went to bed Monday night I saw a notice on the Times asking for reader's photographs picturing the recession. The last trip I made to Vero Beach with Bruce I saw these young man after dropping him off at the job site. I was on my way over to the ocean and couldn't get a picture at that time. Sadly, two hours later on my return they were still there. Proving once again that while driving it always helps to have the camera on the front seat, I took this shot through my open window. At the time I thought it was very creative on their part and just wanted to document what I saw. When I saw the notice in the Times I thought it might be perfect. I assumed they would email a person or something so when I didn't see it for two days I thought, oh well, which makes finding it unexpectedly all the more thrilling. I called Bruce--went to voice mail. An email to Jonathan said he'd have to get back with me after a conference call. When he called he provided a screen capture for me. I had not been able to get a link myself so I took a photograph of my computer screen of the home page. I'm not sure what delighted me more, the image with text or being featured on the home page. In any case, I've been reading the Times for years and never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I'd have something to contribute. Bruce teased me saying he would now call me a New York Times contributor!

Something is going crazy with Blogger right now so I'll sign off--too irritating to go on. I am hoping in a big way the weather breaks later today and over the weekend because it is nearly SHOWTIME!

2 comments:

Alissa said...

I saw this on Facebook and was so happy for you! It's a great picture, though, and very fitting, so I'm not too surprised they wanted to use it. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I wish the man knew his picture ended up there.(Lisa)

Back at the Homestead