Thursday, February 2, 2012

High Hopes

High Hopes
She's got high hopes,
She's got, high, apple pie, in the sky hopes.

That's me folks. I've been preparing for the best show of my career this week, or may I be redundant and say I HOPE it will be the best show?

This is no apple pie in the sky, but it is a jet, which seems sort of appropriate as well. 
Seems to me like a jet can travel considerably further than an apple pie in the sky don't you agree? By the way, some of you may know this already, I was not among you. The above song is one by Frank Sinatra. Another famous line from that song is, Whoops there goes another rubber tree plant! I learn something new each and every day.

I took this photo while taking the clothes off the line. I know, I'm crazy to always be thinking about taking pictures, but you knew that didn't you?
Now you see what I mean by maximum sunshine. Actually, I'm merely showing this to segue into this sweet little poem Bruce forwarded to me from someone else. Apparently, before there was "social media" there was the clothesline.
clothesline was a news forecast, To neighbors passing by,

There were no secrets you could keep, When clothes were hung to dry.

It also was a friendly link, For neighbors always knew

If company had stopped on by, To spend a night or two.

For then you'd see the "fancy sheets", And towels upon the line;

You'd see the "company table cloths", With intricate designs.

The line announced a baby's birth, From folks who lived inside,

As brand new infant clothes were hung, So carefully with pride!

The ages of the children could, So readily be known

By watching how the sizes changed, You'd know how much they'd grown!

It also told when illness struck, As extra sheets were hung;

Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe too, Haphazardly were strung.

It also said, "On vacation now", When lines hung limp and bare.

It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged, With not an inch to spare!

New folks in town were scorned upon, If wash was dingy and gray,

As neighbors carefully raised their brows, And looked the other way.

But clotheslines now are of the past, For dryers make work much less.

Now what goes on inside a home, Is anybody's guess!

I really miss that way of life, It was a friendly sign

When neighbors knew each other best... By what hung out on that line

Nowadays, most folks have fences around their yards, but I dare say that wasn't always the case. I can't imagine what inspired someone to write a poem about a clothesline, but then again, I can't imagine what inspires me to photograph what I do!

Finally the prints are done. Or almost anyway. I loaded up the twirly thing only to unload it!
After sorting through my baskets, stocking my inventory in the large plastic bin, I discovered I had room, thus, I decided to take it all with me. I told you I had high hopes!

What I didn't have was an adequate supply of Smarties, the candy I have on my browsing table at shows. Let's just say they are hard to find these days. At one point I ordered 80 lbs. from the Smartie store. After checking at Walgreens, Publix, Dollar Store, and Big Lots, I've decided perhaps I should do that again. From nearly our very first time at the market, I've had a small candy dish with Smarties for anyone who likes them, and let me tell you, there are plenty of people who do. Count me super surprised on that, however, Bruce knew as it was his suggestion. From their site I've learned that the inventor came to the United States in 1949 from England after the war, opening up a factory with two machines in a rented space. I love to hear those kinds of success stories. Apparently, he too had high hopes. (finally found some at Target.)

Fiddling with my prints is not my favorite part of the business. After a time I need to move and walking Baxter is a good way to do so. I mentioned a few weeks ago that the peach tree on our street was beginning to blossom. A few houses down two nectarine trees are doing the same.
See the tiny little moon down on the bottom right? While driving down Pershing the other day I noticed that the Angel Trumpet flowers are going crazy right now. This tree is cascading down the wall around Southern Oaks, the fancy neighborhood across the street from us.
Looking at the mass of blooms it makes me think of petticoats. The color of both of these blooms, the purple and the delicate shade of orange, is outstanding! Indulge me as I take you closer.
Fantastic right? As I type this I hear our cardinals. HaHa--our cardinals. Actually I've discovered that there are two pairs hanging around. Imagine if we have two nests! If I happen to walk outside and find them nearby I talk to them. That's right--I talk to them gently, hoping they won't be frightened and fly away. It may very well be working because Mr. Cardinal was kind enough to just watch me from his perch in the new tree while I tried and tried to get a shot of him amongst the branches. Fortunately some of the leaves have fallen allowing me a better opportunity. May I dare say that I'm pleased with this one?
They say it's best to get the light in the eye of your subject which is why I'm so pleased with this shot. Some might argue that this red is even better than the orange and they very well might have a good point. Picture me with the zoom lens on my Nikon, head bent way back, looking into the viewfinder trying to get the shot. The camera is a bit heavy, my neck is getting older, and it's nearly impossible to use the automatic focus. I switched over to manual, adjusting the ring until the camera focused on you know who. Happy days!! All the while I calmly thanked him for sitting so still for his portrait. I think what also makes this a nice shot is the blue sky behind him bringing stark contrast to the scene. Here's another view:
Which is your favorite? The lighting in the first is the best, but I do like how his comb is up in this one.

There are a few things I've been meaning to mention. One is that the space I photographed for Dana will be the site of nine NBA All Star parties! She's already so darn busy I have no idea how she'll manage, but knowing her as I do, she will. As well I finally read a novel!! Fanfare here. It's been far too long since I've read one and I'm happy to report that I can recommend In the Sea There are Crocodiles. Talk about having hope! My word, the hero went through so much it's hard to imagine how he survived. Based on a true story, the author recounts the tale of a 10 year old Afghan boy whose Mother abandons him in a city to get him away from the Taliban. In our days of relative calm, it's easy to forget how much of the world lives a daily life of struggle. Novels like this one remind me of the ease with which I go about my days. 

Speaking of which I am joining the ladies for bridge in a bit; a play day before "Show Time!"

Hopefully yours,
Gail

1 comment:

matt said...

I love that photo of the tree branches!

Back at the Homestead