Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May Day

Throughout much of the world, today is celebrated as May Day, however, around these parts, it is better known as Jonathan's birthday. I can still recall when I first thought I was pregnant with what would be my fourth child and frankly I was not thrilled. Bruce and I were 28 years old with a 6 year old and 3 year old twins, pretty much more than we could handle. And then along came Jonathan and what a blessing he's been, particularly as he's gotten older. I suppose he shared many characteristics with other "babies" in a large family during his younger days. Now, on the other hand, I so appreciate his wit and wisdom, great for such a young man.

In October of 1996 we moved into our present home when Jonathan was only 12.  All of us were thrilled to have our very own swimming pool, particularly Jonathan who was the first one to test it out during his first birthday here. Typically the water doesn't warm up enough for Floridians to swim until later in the month, but Jonathan was determined, and did a cannonball on his birthday into the cool water while his grandparents watched from the sidelines. That seems like a long time ago and in reality, I guess it was.

A lot has changed since those years, with one thing staying the same. We normally do NOT go into the pool until late May. Yesterday that changed as I unexpectedly found myself in the water up to my waist while fully clothed!! How, you ask? Well, if you thought it had something to do with photography, you would be right. Cleaning the pool in the early morning,  I discovered a toad swimming and floating which I scooped out with my cleaning net. He just sat there on the deck, probably trying to recover from the shock. I took one photograph, then thought perhaps if I stepped onto the pool steps I could get a better angle. Next thing I know, I'm sliding off the step into the deeper water, scraping my elbow along the way. I did, however, get a really great shot:
Wasn't long after this and off he went into the bushes. He looks sort of sad doesn't he? Photography is more dangerous than you thought right?

So, I suspect what you're dying to know is, what happened at the show. Fine, that's how it went. Not fantastic, but fine. Interestingly enough, my neighbor artist was a young man who lives in Satellite Beach, however, that's not where he always lived. Amazingly, he went to Boone High School graduating two years after the twins. Not so amazing is that he knew them slightly, after all, they were somewhat notorious for reasons, both good and bad.

It was Ryan Walters first show despite painting for years. He is equally passionate about English literature which he teaches in Satellite Beach. His lovely wife Erin, also from Orlando, graduating from Colonial High School, some miles away. She also has a passing knowledge of the twins, and works in finance as they do. In September they will be adding a new member to their family.
They were as sweet as can be. Anyway, his paintings take way long to create, and dry, thus they are expensive. As we've all learned by now, most of the crowd at an art show is simply there to wander, not to buy. Ryan learned this on Saturday, sitting, sitting, sitting. Sunday morning he said how tired he was from Saturday which should tell you a lot. If he was tired, imagine how this old lady feels after a show! During lulls in my sales, we discussed the whole art festival thing and how the judging is so biased towards those who have won in the past, always overlooking any newcomers on the scene. He asked me if all the judges were as arrogant, and for the most part, I had to say yes, indeed they are. Frustrated, he and Erin visited until FINALLY,  in the afternoon, one of the patrons purchased a piece. And then another one sold and another. They left happy campers after all.

Painters typically look down on photographers, and that's okay, however, there is quite a bit of work to what I do that they don't see. And then there is the personal injury factor which I've had my fair share of. The scab,from slipping on some wet concrete,  finally came off of a scrape on my shin that happened weeks ago. Heat, bug bites, and falls. I've endured them all!

Speaking of heat, I thought I'd die on Saturday during the afternoon. All that kept running through my head was how am I going to survive Mayfaire in two weeks??? I will, but you already knew that. We also had the misfortune to have rain on Sunday. Talking to Matthew yesterday afternoon, I learned that it's been raining cats and dogs in London, whereas, we've had almost none. Until Sunday that is. In the above photo you might notice my boxes stacked against the wall, drying out. Oh well, it's all part of the outdoor experience isn't it?

What was terrific, and I mean terrific about the weekend was our stay at Crane Creek Inn. Arriving around 4:30 Friday afternoon, we were thrilled when we saw it in person.
After loading the vehicle with the art show stuff, Bruce tied the kayak to the roof which proved to be a bit challenging because of the vehicle height, but he got it done. So, that was the first thing he did, with Andy's help upon our arrival--take it down and carry it down to the creek, or what really looks like a river to me. The weather was gorgeous and the scenery matched.
I told you it looked like a river! Everywhere you looked was perfect, including this view of the hammock and covered hot tub which I'm happy to say we took advantage of on Saturday night!
How about the porch in front of our room? Nice, huh?
The room was perfect, the bed fantastic! Although we didn't take advantage of it, the heated pool was wonderful as well.
I can't say enough how happy I was that we were able to stay there because it was only about a two block walk to my space. Bruce fished on Saturday after helping me finish the display.
As you can imagine, he's checking to see that everything is hanging level. Friday night we worked until after dark; staying so darn close, we were able to walk right over in the morning and finish things up. Hurray!

Arriving home Sunday night around 8, Bill returned Baxter who was happy to see us. Asking Baxter if he'd enjoyed his weekend getaway, I'm pretty sure I heard him say yes. The flowers were fine, the feeders empty, and the house in good shape. The best part of the weekend, aside from the CCI, was that Mr. Bruce did not work (paying work that is) one single second, which hasn't been the case in so long that I can't even remember! After unloading, a quick supper and we were pretty much wiped out, particularly because Bruce had to leave for California in the morning.

Another show in the books as they say.

No comments:

Back at the Homestead