Skip to main content

May Day

Throughout much of the world, today is celebrated as May Day, however, around these parts, it is better known as Jonathan's birthday. I can still recall when I first thought I was pregnant with what would be my fourth child and frankly I was not thrilled. Bruce and I were 28 years old with a 6 year old and 3 year old twins, pretty much more than we could handle. And then along came Jonathan and what a blessing he's been, particularly as he's gotten older. I suppose he shared many characteristics with other "babies" in a large family during his younger days. Now, on the other hand, I so appreciate his wit and wisdom, great for such a young man.

In October of 1996 we moved into our present home when Jonathan was only 12.  All of us were thrilled to have our very own swimming pool, particularly Jonathan who was the first one to test it out during his first birthday here. Typically the water doesn't warm up enough for Floridians to swim until later in the month, but Jonathan was determined, and did a cannonball on his birthday into the cool water while his grandparents watched from the sidelines. That seems like a long time ago and in reality, I guess it was.

A lot has changed since those years, with one thing staying the same. We normally do NOT go into the pool until late May. Yesterday that changed as I unexpectedly found myself in the water up to my waist while fully clothed!! How, you ask? Well, if you thought it had something to do with photography, you would be right. Cleaning the pool in the early morning,  I discovered a toad swimming and floating which I scooped out with my cleaning net. He just sat there on the deck, probably trying to recover from the shock. I took one photograph, then thought perhaps if I stepped onto the pool steps I could get a better angle. Next thing I know, I'm sliding off the step into the deeper water, scraping my elbow along the way. I did, however, get a really great shot:
Wasn't long after this and off he went into the bushes. He looks sort of sad doesn't he? Photography is more dangerous than you thought right?

So, I suspect what you're dying to know is, what happened at the show. Fine, that's how it went. Not fantastic, but fine. Interestingly enough, my neighbor artist was a young man who lives in Satellite Beach, however, that's not where he always lived. Amazingly, he went to Boone High School graduating two years after the twins. Not so amazing is that he knew them slightly, after all, they were somewhat notorious for reasons, both good and bad.

It was Ryan Walters first show despite painting for years. He is equally passionate about English literature which he teaches in Satellite Beach. His lovely wife Erin, also from Orlando, graduating from Colonial High School, some miles away. She also has a passing knowledge of the twins, and works in finance as they do. In September they will be adding a new member to their family.
They were as sweet as can be. Anyway, his paintings take way long to create, and dry, thus they are expensive. As we've all learned by now, most of the crowd at an art show is simply there to wander, not to buy. Ryan learned this on Saturday, sitting, sitting, sitting. Sunday morning he said how tired he was from Saturday which should tell you a lot. If he was tired, imagine how this old lady feels after a show! During lulls in my sales, we discussed the whole art festival thing and how the judging is so biased towards those who have won in the past, always overlooking any newcomers on the scene. He asked me if all the judges were as arrogant, and for the most part, I had to say yes, indeed they are. Frustrated, he and Erin visited until FINALLY,  in the afternoon, one of the patrons purchased a piece. And then another one sold and another. They left happy campers after all.

Painters typically look down on photographers, and that's okay, however, there is quite a bit of work to what I do that they don't see. And then there is the personal injury factor which I've had my fair share of. The scab,from slipping on some wet concrete,  finally came off of a scrape on my shin that happened weeks ago. Heat, bug bites, and falls. I've endured them all!

Speaking of heat, I thought I'd die on Saturday during the afternoon. All that kept running through my head was how am I going to survive Mayfaire in two weeks??? I will, but you already knew that. We also had the misfortune to have rain on Sunday. Talking to Matthew yesterday afternoon, I learned that it's been raining cats and dogs in London, whereas, we've had almost none. Until Sunday that is. In the above photo you might notice my boxes stacked against the wall, drying out. Oh well, it's all part of the outdoor experience isn't it?

What was terrific, and I mean terrific about the weekend was our stay at Crane Creek Inn. Arriving around 4:30 Friday afternoon, we were thrilled when we saw it in person.
After loading the vehicle with the art show stuff, Bruce tied the kayak to the roof which proved to be a bit challenging because of the vehicle height, but he got it done. So, that was the first thing he did, with Andy's help upon our arrival--take it down and carry it down to the creek, or what really looks like a river to me. The weather was gorgeous and the scenery matched.
I told you it looked like a river! Everywhere you looked was perfect, including this view of the hammock and covered hot tub which I'm happy to say we took advantage of on Saturday night!
How about the porch in front of our room? Nice, huh?
The room was perfect, the bed fantastic! Although we didn't take advantage of it, the heated pool was wonderful as well.
I can't say enough how happy I was that we were able to stay there because it was only about a two block walk to my space. Bruce fished on Saturday after helping me finish the display.
As you can imagine, he's checking to see that everything is hanging level. Friday night we worked until after dark; staying so darn close, we were able to walk right over in the morning and finish things up. Hurray!

Arriving home Sunday night around 8, Bill returned Baxter who was happy to see us. Asking Baxter if he'd enjoyed his weekend getaway, I'm pretty sure I heard him say yes. The flowers were fine, the feeders empty, and the house in good shape. The best part of the weekend, aside from the CCI, was that Mr. Bruce did not work (paying work that is) one single second, which hasn't been the case in so long that I can't even remember! After unloading, a quick supper and we were pretty much wiped out, particularly because Bruce had to leave for California in the morning.

Another show in the books as they say.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bodies of Water

Raise your hand if you think you can identify the location of this lovely scene? Before our excursion on Saturday, I certainly would have kept my arm straight by my side because I would have had no clue. This is the park on the shores of East Lake Tohopekaliga in downtown St. Cloud, Florida. I've included Florida because there is a town named the same in Minnesota, not far from a restaurant Bruce built, and there might just be someone from Minnesota that comes across this blog and thinks, that's not my town! 
At any rate, Bruce's superintendent in Plano is doing a fabulous job which means Mr. Peck is not having to kill himself, performing as both Project Manager, and the field Super. It's about time that he got a bit of a break, so when I asked him if he was up for a Saturday excursion to St. Cloud, he agreed. Both of us have driven by the exit to this little town on countless occasions, but never had either of us actually been there before. 28 miles from Orlando, it i…

And Just Like That....

another weekend has arrived! My, how the time flies when you are old. The date for our move to Vancouver in early July just keeps getting closer and closer! In the meantime, we are staying busy.

Matt and Tom have an anniversary coming up, yes, it has been three years already at the end of the month. You will not be surprised that I made a quilt to honor the occasion which I sent a week or so ago, thinking it would take some time. You never really know. In this instance it took only one week and since I sent it to Matt's workplace, he opened it right up and sent me a text to say he loved it! That was a relief because it is a little different than some quilts I've made. When I had only the top pieced Bruce was a little skeptical of the end result, however, after the addition of spiral quilting, and ORANGE binding, he was a convert!
For a touch of whimsy, I used a fabric with drawn kitty cats for Tom. The beginning of the spiral is somewhat sketchy, but I did the best that I coul…

Hither and Yon

Looking back on things, it does seem kind of crazy I did not know what was happening to me. No more so than on Saturday when we took a little trip to Steveston. But first we went to Richmond, a largely Asian community to meet up with the fellow who makes all of the furniture for Earls restaurants. By hand no less. Well, machines are involved, of course. Sewing machines and all manner of wood working tools. But, we'll get to that in a moment.

First, let's take the Canada Line to Broadway and Cambie Street, shall we?
The Canada Line actually runs from the waterfront all the way to both the airport and Richmond. Now you know.

Back in early July, the day we were having one of our two garage sales, we quit early to attend Judy's retirement party which was just lovely. So, not only was the party great, but Judy's sister Margie gave me a Lonely Planet guide to Vancouver and has it ever been helpful, with suggested neighborhood walks, points of interest, maps...the whole sheba…