Skip to main content

Up on the Roof, and Underneath the House

Let's play catch up, shall we?

To begin with, I am very excited about some gerbera daisy plants that I placed in rehab on the side of the house last November or so. By golly, they've done their job, and are flowering once again!
Count this blogger as happy!

That title is somewhat intriguing right? That was last Saturday's fun, had not by me, but by Bruce and Bill. The roof is some material I can't remember the name of, but it is white, and it WAS covered with a nasty green mold. Mr. Bill got up there and went to scrubbing with soapy bleach water.
As it was a momentous occasion, I did my part as the renovation photographer to document his first time on the roof, make that any roof! The funny thing is that when the twins were younger it was
David who was the king of workers, Bill was too busy playing guitar. Now Bill is the one most interested in house related things. That is pretty true though for their entire lives, one would like something at one time, then the tables would turn, and the other one got into it.

This is a silly photograph of me taken in the mirror leaning against the wall upstairs. I wanted to show the blooming pink tabebuia tree reflected, however what's most funny about it is me--squinting away at the camera!
While on the balcony I took this shot of the view:
Remember when the dumpster first arrived? Well, believe me, after Saturday it is close to needing an emptying. The lawn, such as it is, was covered, and I do mean covered, with fallen oak leaves which yours truly removed with the blower. I'm not sure how long it took, at least until I ran out of gas, but for the most part the leaves are now a thing of the past. As well, I had my first taste of using a crow bar! Exciting stuff, right? Never once in my 60 years had I used a crow bar before, but if you want to be part of a team taking down 32 feet of worn-out fence, you've got to be flexible. I did not, on the other hand, carry the 4x4 posts to the dumpster--a task better left to Mr. Bruce.

This all happened after what was arguably one of the most nerve wracking experiences in the project to date. Bill wanted the cable to run to one of the living room walls, a wall shared by the adjacent office. Simple enough, or so you might think while reading this. NOT! Mr. Bruce to the rescue once again! You may recall that this house has a crawl space, and they mean that literally, one has to crawl underneath the foundation to move stuff around. Herbert, God bless him, had already experienced this while moving the plumbing. He did not, however, actually crawl half the distance of the house as Bruce did on Saturday. Bill crouched by the wall communicating with his Dad by shouting at the wall as Bruce crawled with the cable. Maybe you had to be there? Here's Bill under the kitchen trying to grab the cable wire..
The picture also shows all the new electrical wire Herbert is running, the yellow stuff, to make the new kitchen a reality. To say Bill was a nervous wreck with his Dad under the house is putting it mildly. But, as I knew he would, out he comes from the tiny hole used to access the space with his head lantern in place.
Finally, on Thursday evening the cable guy came, and after weeks and weeks, Bill finally has cable, and more importantly, the internet!

We did not spend every day over there, although, you would think so, wouldn't you? One day we had to go to the office to have the folks there work on Bruce's computer. In a bad move, someone forgot to tell the IT folks that he was staying for an additional two weeks, which led to his badge, phone and computer being shut off. While he was inside, I thought I might play with my camera a bit. I'm sort of obsessed with the bare trees right now.
I'd brought along my camera manual, such as it is, to learn more about how the camera works. I say that about the manual because these days, most of it you have to access through a disc. While fiddling around, I saw the flashing light indicating the battery was on it's last legs. Bummer! Happily I had enough charge left to document what came next---an alligator climbed out of the pond while I was watching!!!!
Yup, the gator just lay there taking advantage of the sunny day. You don't see this sight every day, now do you?

Well, it is time to get dressed to head out for another day of construction work; painting is my specialty, as is the pool, which is driving me to distraction trying to make it presentable!

Happy weekend friends!

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Doings in Orlando

"Cheryle, are you kidding me? You want me to come help YOU decorate your tree?" Desperate is what she was, because if anyone knows how to decorate, it is Cheryle!
Seriously...how cool is this? Before you even go inside you have awesome things to look at, including this cool "tree" she copied from a small version found in a Crate & Barrel catalog.
Super great red lighting on the palms..Christmas, Florida style.
Friends helping friends might be how you would describe the gumbo she made from Pam's turkey carcass. Following the gumbo, we set to work while Bruce watched television following a busy week. David, Cheryle's husband, has a full schedule singing in various choirs during the holidays including the Bach choir, directed by none other than the music minister at our new church. Having lived for much of her adult life in Chicago, it was only fitting that this, in the year of the Cubs big World Series win, be the first ornament on the tree.
Saturday I sp…

Drive, Eat, Sleep--Repeat

Technically I did none of the driving, but the title wouldn't be near as catchy if I'd included riding, don't you think?

So, the yard is cleaned of storm debris, the pool is clean, the laundry is going, and I've been to Dr. Parillo for a follow-up visit. Now it is time to blog!!

Let us get started with the statistics of our fantastic journey:


We flew 892 miles to Cinncinatti.We flew 1,318 miles home from Manchester, NHBruce drove 1,300 miles!We traveled in parts of six states, as well as CanadaOur interstate traveling was at a bare minimum allowing us to go through countless towns, villages, and beautiful countryside From my window seat.... So that's the dry stuff, let's get into the good stuff, shall we? I heard from a few of you that you could not wait to see the photographs from the trip which was a very nice thing to hear.  I hope you are not disappointed, because not only did I not take a gazillion photos, the ones I did are just so-so for various reasons, …

One Way to Force My Hand

As is well documented in this blog, I'm not much of a housekeeper. Making stuff--I love it. Maintaining stuff, not so much. However, that very well may have to change right about now. Our floors are done, and what an improvement in looks, as you shall soon see. On the other hand, it will be quite the job for me to keep them looking their best, that's for sure.
Let's back up some days, shall we? When last we met, Mr. Peck was dismantling his desk. He moved onto the kitchen table, never missing a beat. He was pretty squished up in there, but he made it work nonetheless. Please note the light over the table because, in addition to the new flooring, I purchased a new kitchen light, along with four new ceiling fans. Basically I went crazy on Build.com. Although I had never heard of them, my search for fans in person was fruitless. The same for the light, thus I took to the internet. Everything went beautifully; all arrived in record time with free shipping. So, while Scott was …