Thursday, August 16, 2018

Somewhat

Lying in bed the other morning, I asked Bruce if he was getting used to being back in Orlando. He honestly replied, "somewhat", which pretty much sums up my feelings as well. It has been harder than we imagined, however, with a view like this, we'll adjust.
I haven't had the time to blog this last week as it seems that every time I intended to sit down and write, something else was needed for our new home. And with Bruce home all of the time now, it seems as if either I am making one meal and it is soon time for another. Not that I'm complaining, mind you, it is just another adjustment. He has really enjoyed being able to take the kayak out weather permitting. Speaking of the weather, it is damn hot today, as in 95 degrees with no rain in sight. After the earlier massive storms, things in that department have calmed down quite a bit. Both of us still marvel at the lack of thunder and lightening in Vancouver. Plus, their clouds are not nearly as interesting as ours!
Whereas in Vancouver, the scenery creates all of the drama, here in Florida it is the weather. With skies that often look like the above, it is no wonder that flat sky in Vancouver was challenging for me.

Sunday morning we decided to visit the church where we married, 45 years ago this Saturday.
Although we didn't see anyone we knew, we did run into the Aunt of a fellow we went to school with. It was nice, but replacing St. Andrews Wesley is going to be quite the challenge.

Pam had us over on Sunday night for delicious gazpacho, which won't surprise you in the least, as you've learned from this blog that she is such an excellent cook.
Another neat thing that I discovered on my bike ride the other morning is an area in the front of the property with about ten raised bed plots. Checking with Susan, our association president, I learned there is an empty one that has our name on it. That is if we can even think about working in this heat!
All sorts of plants that attract butterflies are planted there, and unless you venture in, you would never know that it is there.
Another thing that has been fun to watch on the big lake is a white duck with a harem of Mallard ducks. I have no explanation for this phenomenon. Anyone else?
Oh how I do love having access to a large swimming pool which I am making good use of when I can. The other afternoon I went there to finish an excellent book that I brought back with me from the used book store at the Vancouver library. Should you be looking for a fantastic, and strangely uplifting book, and by that I mean it is set in a hospice, check out The Love Song of Miss Queenie Hennessy by Rachel Joyce.  It has been quite some time since I enjoyed a novel as much.

So, that was all the news that is fit to print from here, but I do have more to show from the trip across the country. Without further ado, let's go to Iowa, a state that I could best describe as tidy. Rows upon rows of corn fields, that although do not have the dramatic effect of a place like the Badlands, is beautiful nonetheless.
Oops, I got ahead of myself.
After the rugged beauty of the far West, Iowa was a soothing treat for the eyes.
This was going to be one of the long days of driving filled with tiny towns along the State roads.
Filled is actually not the right word as the towns were generally few and far between. More like seemingly endless fields and roads lined with beautiful wildflowers.
Lovely rolling hills too.
Finally we came to a small town, the name of which escapes me. Because it was going to be a very long day, we found a space on a little residential street, under a big tree for shade, where Bruce could take a twenty minute nap. Naturally, I went on a little walk, seeing this in an open backyard.
And this highly decorated front and side yard, complete with an old sleigh.
I wish I'd remembered the name and I would have learned what went on in this town that warranted a residence like this one.
Someone made some money there, eh?

Finally, we were across Iowa, staying the night in Coralville where we visited the Olive Garden Bruce built.

Drive, eat, sleep, repeat..

The sun rose over Iowa,
and we were off again, heading to, and reaching Missouri, where we finally headed South.
There isn't a whole lot to say about Missouri, after all of the days of stunning beauty we'd passed through. Perhaps it is the Eastern side of the state that is so-so. We did stop here for lunch and it was indeed very tasty.
Whether or not our burger was the "worlds best" is up for debate, but it was very tasty, and we enjoyed sitting at the counter with the locals. With the atlas and iPad on my lap, I led Bruce on a route that would completely skirt St. Louis which might have been nice to see, but after driving so long with no traffic to speak of, we preferred to keep it that way. And there it was, the crossing of the Mississippi River in Cape Girardeau.
Just over the bridge, we drove into Illinois,
where we found a better spot to gaze upon the mighty Mississippi.
More corn fields and this great find!
Driving just on the corner of Illinois, we found the road that next led us over the Ohio River,
and into,
where we were immediately greeted with a wall of kudzu.
When we visited Hilary several years ago, I never expected to find myself anywhere near Fancy Farm again, but here was the sign my friends.
If this intrigues you to know more, you can read all about that fantastic trip here. Which I plan to do once this is finished because I want to relive the memory. :)

There very well may be loads of kudzu in this part of the world, but what there is a shortage of is hotel rooms. So, although tired, there were still more miles to go until we reached Mayfield, Ky where we discovered that there was a Mexican restaurant within walking distance.  Hallelujah, and can we get an AMEN?
Oh how happy we were to finally have some Tex-Mex again. Vancouver has many restaurants that serve fancy tacos but none that we found served our favorites. Since returning to Orlando we have seen an absolute explosion of Mexican restaurants and we can't wait to try a bunch of them!

Well, friends, there you have it, a road trip through parts of two Canadian provinces and 13 states where the biggest thrill came from seeing that everywhere is beautiful if your eyes are looking for beauty. Even Missouri.

your friend,

Gail




No comments:

Back at the Homestead