Friday, October 4, 2019

Butterflies and a Mountain Lake

After the foggy start to our second day in the mountains, we turned back around, once again heading to DuPont Forest in search of Fawn Lake in order for Bruce to do some fishing, always a big priority. And while I don't fish, I never complain about being waterside! After some seriously winding roads, we arrived at the designated parking area and began the fairly short hike to Fawn Lake.
Can you imagine how colorful this will be looking in a few weeks time? Maybe next year we can take a similar trip in mid October!
Coming up a steep hill, once at the top we were rewarded with this magnificent scene on the other side, and while there was nothing but sunshine, it was still early enough in the day to be a very pleasant temperature.
Before long Bruce disappeared into the forest, leaving me to soak in the silence and solitude with my camera in hand.
 You just knew I could not resist putting my feet in the water, didn't you?
 Eventually one woman hiker came along to rest on the dock, as well as a Park Ranger who filled me in on more details about the lake saying that it was as clean as any lake could be because of the forest completely surrounding it. Every now and again a mountain biker or two would come down the road from behind the tree line. He also mentioned that it is a super popular swimming area that would soon be filling up after church let out. With no threat of alligators I can imagine it is marvelous.
Seeing a Monarch butterfly flitting amongst the lakeside wildflowers was a special treat.
Because no one was around, including Bruce, I hollered out and he heard me! Yup, along the shoreline way across the lake. If you are wondering, he caught one and let it go.
So a Monarch was special enough, but Lordy, Lordy, check out this beauty that landed on the warm sandy gravel in front of me! Isn't it beautiful?
 Then along came another of those stunning blue ones. I could not believe my luck!
Yet another cool butterfly! Absolutely amazing that in the wild I saw four butterflies in a matter of minutes. Conditions must have been ideal for them; I can't tell you the number of times I've searched for butterflies in gardens and not been able to see even one so you know I was a very happy lady.
Seeing so many butterflies was making me very happy indeed, and I wondered how it could be any more special, that is until the moment on our walk back to the car, when a doe bounded out of the woods in front of us, disappearing as fast as she appeared. Back to the main road and onto the parking lot to view more waterfalls. While you can see two different ones from the one lot, we chose to only do the walk to Triple Falls which was strenuous enough.
 Actually I wussed out on the final push up the hill, content to see it from the pathway.
You know how you have seen stupendous waterfall photographs before? Those are all taken when it is overcast making them look all moody. It isn't often that I want cloudy weather, but in the case of photographing waterfalls, well, I wish we'd had some. That said, check out the photo below with the puddle in the shape of a heart!!! When I was selling photos I had a number of images with heart shapes that people really liked. Think a shell, or something like that. In any case. Bruce noticed this one, pointing it out to me, who in turn pointed it out to the other folks standing along the rail. It's hard for me not to do that sort of thing. I'm always wanting to share wonderful things. Perhaps that's why I am a blogger?
Trudging down the hill, carefully, we stopped to enjoy the cool water as did these folks with their dogs.
Successfully, this time I managed to navigate the boulders for a nice seat, as did Bruce who is studying the water for trout.
There is a reason they call them the Blue Ridge Mountains, as seen from a city park fronted by the French Broad River that flows for a long time. Some folks who have been to Asheville will recognize the name.
I got it into my head to see what the trails were like at our place, following lunch at a local spot where the server was as friendly as you'd expect someone from North Carolina to be.
When we checked into our cabin, the owners gave us a map of the property with many trails and a small waterfall that I was keen to see. Leaving Bruce to a nap, I took off up the hill and down. There were all kinds of cool mosses growing at the base of the trees,
however, there were loads of roots too. Not to mention that the trails were narrow. The further I got into the forest, the more I became leery, thinking that if I tripped over one of those roots, it could spell trouble for me. One thing about the campground is that there is no cell service, thus no way to call for help.
That is when I put my adventurous spirit aside and got practical, heading back the way I came. After cooking dinner, watching the Ken Burn's episode, we slept well with the windows open for the cool air and night sounds of the insects.

Many years ago, the Mannix family asked if we'd go to North Carolina to take photographs of the cabin they owned, hoping good shots would help their place stand out on the rental sites. So, we have been to North Carolina before, 11 years ago. We loved our little spot at Ash Grove, but the inside of the cabin, while quaint, was nothing like their home, the photos which I recently came across.

It is no wonder loads of Floridians have a second home in North Carolina because it is mighty beautiful, especially when the weather is good which it continued to be the next day as we made our way to Tallulah Gorge State Park in Georgia.

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety