Friday, February 23, 2007

How about that Internet?



In Humanities we have been studying the period when Gutenberg invented movable type and the impact it has had on history. I'd say we are in a period like that right now with the influence the web has made on our times. In the future, students will be studying our use.

I have been working on a little grouping of growing fruit; Bruce wanted me to add strawberries to the mix ; I went to Google to searchfor a farm nearby. Sure enough, I found one in Oviedo, a suburb of Orlando. It used to be all farm land and such, however, that way of life is almost a thing of the past as people move further out of the city center for affordable housing. Anyway, it is the country to me, and I took advantage of what is left of the rural life. I not only picked strawberries--something I have never done, but I came across horses and cattle that I photographed. I might as well before it is all gone!

On my return trip I stopped at a sandwich shop called--Big Apple Bagels. The counter help had an Irish accent ; I asked her where the name of the shop came from. She explained it meant New York, to which I replied: yes, I'm aware of that, but surely you are not from there. She explained that she and her husband were living in England and found the shop to buy on the Internet. Who knew that folks would leave the safety of their homeland to buy a bagel shop in Oviedo? The Internet is surely changing the way we live.

Tomorrow is Matt's departure.

No comments:

So This is Springtime