Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Microblogging, or not....


My friend Josie tells me micro-blogging on sites like Twitter, or Facebook, is the wave of the future; this does not bode well for narrative writing. I'm still going to buck the trend and keep writing. According to the newspaper I read while eating lunch, writing each day increases your brain power; Lord knows I can stand a little bit of that.

When last I left you I was pontificating about photography's place at art shows. I was hoping to hear back from someone about this matter, anyone have an opinion? I've begun to wonder just what is "art?" I've looked up the definition although I'm not sure that tells me what I want to know. Furthermore, who decides what great art is anyway? We all know that some artists now considered masters were shunned while living. How does one place a value on art? Is it skill, creativity, color, nuance, or the ability to make the viewer either think or feel that sets some artists apart from others? Sounds like I should take a class!

Despite the ongoing weekend art festival, I still did well at my markets.

Speaking of which I was delighted to see Lisa and Danny at Eola on Sunday. I think I was chatting with someone and looked up to see Lisa. She was astonished to see the transformation of the market, barely recognizing it from her earlier visits. They walked around the lake, staying to not only listen to music, but have some delicious treats. I think Danny drank a half gallon of the fresh squeezed orange juice, and I know for a fact Lisa enjoyed some delicious sweets. Danny is still having treatments, which are keeping things under control, but the side effects are not so great, one of which is extreme fatigue. It is difficult to exercise under these conditions, but owing to his indomitable spirit, he's still trying.

Whether or not what I'm doing is artistic, I'm in a show this weekend in Deland. With the flagging economy this might prove futile, but it is always good to be in juried shows every now and again to improve your street cred. I'll be surprised if anything comes my way, but I'm giving it my best shot. Bruce left yesterday morning for his inspection in Kissimmee (perfect as always!), from there straight to the airport for his inspection today in Foxboro, MA. After he's done there it is on to CT to check on the progress of that job. He won't be back until sometime Thursday evening which makes for a very long week. I hate to drag him up to Deland on Friday afternoon to set up the tent, however the show begins at 9 on Saturday morning. We'll be hard pressed to set up in the morning because it takes forever. The amazing thing about Bruce is that no matter how hard he works he never complains. We could all learn a thing or two from him.

I've been somewhat entertained by all the old fashioned things becoming popular once again now that the economy is so tattered. Cube steaks, a mainstay of both my childhood, as well as our boys, have seen some astounding sales increases. I've been reading that movie tickets sales are soaring, as are candy sales. By candy I don't mean Godiva, I mean Necco wafers, the cheap stuff. In case you are wondering, here's how they stack up. Not one to jump on a bandwagon, I took this a month ago trying to make an interesting photograph.

We had some much needed rain yesterday which sent me over to Leu Gardens to take advantage of the gray skies and wet plants. The pictured amaryllis plant was not only drenched, but the color was unbelievably saturated. Hoses and sprinklers are poor substitutes for a good long rain. Everywhere you looked there were large stands of the beautiful bulbs. The rest of the day was pretty much non productive on my part. Today, however, is another day, and I've already done a bunch. I thrive on a combination of activity and routine.
----------------
Listening to: Blur - Music Is My Radar
via FoxyTunes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned to shoot a rifle with Necco wafers so that's what I always associate with them! (Lisa)

feasting-on-pixels (terrie) said...

I don't agree that micro blogging is a wave of the future, but just a passing fad.

I refuse to be a slave of this technology and take my time to share every stupid thought in my head on Twitter, Cheap or Facebook...
let's face it...no one really cares, and if you have a real life, you have little time to just sit around and text!!!
lol...!

I would rather experience life and write to inform and very thoughtfully share my love of fresh, locally-grown food and attempt to capture the beauty of this food in my images.

Sharing ones beauiful life experiences and images is one thing...sharing mindless chatter is another.
I cannot see that type of chatter having a long internet shelf life.
I see theses twitters as having the life of a ripe banana delicious in the begining, but
it will blacken and become unappetizing after a short time time.

There are so many not-so-great and very self-envolved blogs out there. I would rather take the time to produce quality, not mindless quantity.
However, there is room for us all on the internet.

Chêre Gail, I love your blog, it is thoughtful and well written...

In this post I ADORE your image of the Necco wafers...Necco is short for the New England Confectionery Company and a lovley food memory for me.
Bisous...

Gail Peck said...

Thank you for your insights on technology my friend. I am on Facebook and enjoy keeping up with my children as well as nieces and nephews. That said, it does take up too much time from other, more creative endeavors. Your comparison to an overripe banana is very thought provoking. I guess only time will tell. My images pale in comparison with yours, but I try. I forgot to mention that Bruce was delighted with my NECCO pile when he returned home and hastened to eat them. I am off to bed with an incredible book--no more internet of any kind for tonight.

Jozee said...

Hi, Gail . Thanks for the mention- very happy to be known as your friend!

Microblogging may not be for everyone but for people like me who like to write in compacted bursts of prose it works just great!

I'm a bit different and don't rely on actual friends and family for my web interests or connections. I'm very happy with the virtual life and friendships I've made in the net. Thank you for beng part of it all!

A Week Ago Tuesday