Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cool Down

I arrived at the gallery around 5:30 wearing a spiffy new Vera Wang dress and Donald J. Pliner shoes to die for. Monday afternoon I decided to take my bargain postcard to Neiman Last Call to see what I could find. I hit pay dirt my friends. Although I can't adequately describe either the shoes, or dress, I will tell you that I got an incredible bargain. As those of you who have followed me from my student days surely remember, percentages are not my strong suit, but making a stab at it, I'll guess it was about 25% of the listed price.

Anyway I noticed it was mighty warm in the main gallery upon arrival. It got no better as time passed--instead, it got worse. It was not just warm, indeed some might say it felt like a sauna, it was so hot. I'm thinking that is what people will most remember from the night. Actually people were very complimentary with one man remarking how at least they weren't snap shots! Shows you what he knows.

That said, I am so grateful for the turnout. People kept coming and some even stayed, despite the heat. To get people to come out on a Tuesday night is difficult at best, so for those who came, I applaud them! What was wonderful for me is that people from all areas of my life came to support me. People from the hospital, people from the market, neighbors, friends, and family. Where, or where would I be without family? Now if only Bruce, Matt, and Jonathan and Allissa were there, it would have been perfect. Bruce had he been there, would have hightailed it to the nearest store to buy fans!

Here's what the gallery looked like before folks arrived.

The woman in green whose face you can see is my sister in law Judy whom you've heard much about. She's talking, or make that holding court, to Lisa (white blonde hair), my mother in law on the right, and the lady in red is Lisa's neighbor Deb, who has just completed chemo for ovarian cancer. She looks fabulous! The man in the right foreground is Brad, the man who is responsible for getting me in this show. He's been very supportive of my efforts since meeting me at the market; I'd have never left the market if not for him.

Around 9:15 I left thinking I would die if I didn't. I got into the car letting the air conditioning blast away. Ahhh......

Today I've only left the house to walk Baxter. For a while now Bruce has wanted me to try my hand at painting again, so using a toothpick, bendable drinking straw, and children's paints, I experimented with color.



After fooling around with this out back, I went in the pool for perhaps the last time of the year. Let's hope so, this heat is old news.

Changing course, after reading this article, New Thoughts I wonder if I have some type of virus.

Before I left the house last evening, Angela came over for a preview of the new duds. She was duly impressed. She asked me if while delivering phone books out of the back of the car, and raising four children, did I ever dream that one day I'd be buying nice clothes without a second thought and attending fancy events? I simply answered--no, never.

2 comments:

sarah said...

no dress picture?! c'mon!!

:)

ps: really!!!

Gail Peck said...

Sarah--you make me laugh. Over on fb there is one of at least the top of me tagged...let me know if you can't see it.

Back at the Homestead