Monday, October 12, 2009

The Heat Goes On

This will be a bit abbreviated today as I'm typing with a fat right hand. In the past we've discussed extensively my problem with bug bites, so I won't belabor the point. Suffice it to say that an ant was kind enough to bite/sting me as we were packing up things yesterday afternoon. That's certainly one way to make my hand look younger with no veins in sight!

Oh yes my friends, the heat does go on, and on, and on. Make them stop! Saturday afternoon I came home feeling miserable, having to rest for two hours or so before we went to my friend Pam's house for dinner. You know how it is when you feel puny and just don't want to go someplace, but when you do, you end up being happy you made the effort? Well, it was a night like that. Although Bruce knew no one prior to the evening, he was a sparkling conversationalist which is not always an easy thing to do. The food, wine, and company were all top notch. Bonus points go for the fact that they live only about four blocks from us!

Before I go into Sunday, I wanted to show you this funny picture from the other day in DeLand. From across the street it looked like the boots were on the form but on closer inspection they were merely in front of it.

Yesterday was the Pride parade which usually translates into a bad market day. There are loads of folks, but few buyers, although yesterday was not as bad as in the past. Because the parade runs on the street alongside the market, we had to extend our hours--no way to pack up and load out at 4. Just as the parade commenced a light rain appeared out of nowhere. These ladies had the best seat in the house:

The parade was as silly and exuberant as always lasting nearly an hour. This was the back side of one of my favorite floats:
This year I didn't take a ringside seat, taking just a few pictures from afar.

Switching gears now--for a week or so, I've been meaning to write about how sad I am that Saturn is closing. I realized that a good number of family members have driven Saturns. Mom had two, Matt totaled one, I drove one, Maureen had one for more years than I can remember then inherited Mom's car, driving it until it was first stolen (as you may recall), then totaled by a bus. As well, Bill and Dave drove one. I still have the picture of the two of them taken at the Saturn dealership when they "launched" the car. Bill drove it for years and years although now I can't recall its demise. Anyway, the brand is part of our family's history and for that reason I'm pained to see it go.

My dear Bruce left at 6AM for the week, not quite the whole week, almost. He'll be super busy in DC, Kingston, NY, and North Haven, CT. I don't know how he does it, although he'll tell you the traveling is the easiest part of his job. I already miss him.

Finally, yesterday two friends came by with the news that they have already seen the hanging at the gallery. Their kind words have helped ease my anxiety just a bit. I hope that means I'll be pleasantly surprised when I arrive tomorrow night.

No comments:

Back at the Homestead