Thursday, June 20, 2019

A Swan Tale

Having a rain gauge is the best! How else would we know that we've had 7.1 inches of rain beginning on Sunday? Although they print the rainfall in our newspaper, where they measure it seems to receive far less than we do. As an example, yesterday afternoon's storm produced more than two inches here, whereas the newspaper printed, .68. Interesting, right?

Following the massive storms, we finally had a sunset, the first in what feels like weeks.
But this photo-intensive post is not about the weather, rather it is about an astonishing display of nature we witnessed two days ago. An immigration story, if you will.

Firstly, let me set the stage---Bruce and I were walking around Lake Davis, enjoying the sights, including another family of Common Galinulles. Actually there are three chicks, one is behind the parent's neck.
Plus, we came across a Mallard family that was cute as a button.
It was around this part of the lake that we saw the family of Swans from Lake Cherokee, thinking how interesting it was that they had crossed busy Summerlin Ave. There were lots of birds in this area, including another little family of, you guessed it, Gallinules who were shooing the Swan away from their chicks.
Mama Swan returned to her Cygnets,
while the Gallinules resumed their parental duties.
All seemed right with the world, until it wasn't. Mr. Lake Davis started flapping his way at lightening speed across the lake towards the Lake Cherokee family, engaging in a fierce battle between the males the likes of which we'd never seen before.
We were absolutely speechless as we watched them wrestle, wrapping their necks around one another.
Wings aloft...
Honestly, it was just unbelievable how they kept at it, both Bruce and I wondering if they fought to the death.  (researching the topic, while a possibility, unlikely)
Wrapping their necks around one another they bit ferociously with feathers flying.
With wing spans up to 9ft, you can imagine the commotion. Now is probably a good time to mention that I got the best shots I could, having to shoot into the sunshine. Not ideal for photography to say the least. In any case, after some time the entire Lake Davis family came to observe,
and then the females started going at it while the kids watched.
Eventually, it seemed to slow down somewhat, with the LD male chasing the other out of the lake,
only to resume the fight on the shoreline,
followed by a spat on land. Funny picture of Bruce jumping out of their way!
All the while there was a woman who had been walking her dog, observing with us, as well as the boy in blue shorts that you can't see. He had picked up a fallen palm limb, and I think was going to try breaking it up.
The phrase "let nature take its course" comes to mind in this instance. Which is mostly what happened next. After 26 minutes of fighting it came to an end, with the LD male finally settling down,
after successfully forcing the LC family to leave his lake. As to nature taking its course, Bruce did make sure they got across Summerlin safely.
He took a nice little video, if you can call this happening nice, and in the interest of nature watching, I suppose you can. Anyway, I will attempt to attach it to my page in case you prefer live action! As we were leaving for our walk I mentioned that I did not have my phone, but he could track our mileage on his, thus I have no video. But I do have photographs that I hope will give you a sense of how amazing it was.

And to those of you concerned for the Lake Cherokee family, I did the walk yesterday, before the deluge, and checked in on them. Papa has some bites,
but otherwise seems to be doing fine. As does the whole little family who I hope have learned their lesson....for safety's sake, stay in your own lake!
On the other hand, there are multiple pairs of swans on Lake Eola that coexist peacefully. Hmmm......

And with that, I'm hoping I will be able to go swimming myself today as we are not meant to have rain for a few hours. Bruce is working at the church, and Herbert  just left after fixing a leak in our sunroom awning. When the next storm hits, we will know for sure.

Oh my gosh, a little bird just flew onto my window!!! Plus, we've been having birds at our feeder!

your friend,

Gail


No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety