Monday, June 10, 2019

And Then the Rain Came

After what seemed like eons, rather than weeks, it has begun raining in earnest, none so welcome as this first night.
We are all rejoicing because it is so much cooler when we can count on daily rain, not to mention our plants are so much happier! So, what you do when you know rain is in your forecast is get out when you can if you don't want to get drenched. Unlike the frequent light rain we experienced in Vancouver, when there is a rainstorm in Central Florida, watch out as umbrellas are mostly worthless, no match for their intensity. Better just to stay indoors if possible. Furthermore our storms are mostly short-lived, fast and furious if you will.

With that in mind, I rode my bike over to Lake Davis late last week and although I was there to check in on the cygnets, all four whom are growing like mad,
I came across something so adorable I could not wait to share it with you. Although adult Muscovy Ducks are a sight for sore eyes, their ducklings are oh so cute! And plentiful.
There were so many, presumably hatched within the last day or two, that none of those observing could count them. That's where it is very handy to have a large computer screen and a nice clear photo to do your counting. And just how many were there?
By my count, 18!!! Lots of ducklings to keep an eye on, right? I've not returned but will have to sooner rather than later to see how many survive.

Keeping with the bird theme (!), it is not often that I see a Green Heron, but I did the other day and it was fascinating to observe. From my research, this one is what is called a "juvenile" in the birding world.
What was so fascinating about another wading bird you ask? As is the case with so many of these type of birds, they stand stock still for a good while watching for prey, until such time as, in this instance, they snatch it out of the air.
It happened so quickly, I'm not sure if it is a dragonfly, but that's what I'm thinking. It is but a few weeks until our London lads arrive and I so hope that the lakeside action keeps up until their visit. At the very least I suspect they will see some otter action as the puppies are very active right now.

With all this rain, rather than read by the pool, I've been doing that indoors and cooking, making two of my favorite dishes in the last few days. One is called Dirty Risotto by Giada, (recipe in the link).
It's not often that I prepare all of the ingredients first,
however, it sure makes it easier when I do! Not a pretty dish, it is absolutely scrumptious to eat.
While making, for the umpteenth time, Lemon Delight Pound Cake, I had to open my spare jar of Magic baking powder and I'm not thrilled.
Who knew, when we moved to Vancouver, that I would find two products that I never want to be without? There's just something about this baking powder that works wonders which, I suppose, is why they call it magic. And, of course, lard. I so wish I could find some Tenderflake! As to the cake, I had fresh blueberries so included them in the batter and yum, yum, yum.

What have I been reading? Brendan Mathews book of short stories, This is Not a Love Song, some of which are very dark indeed. As in one about a youngish father insisting that there is some sort of mold in their brand new house and goes mad, going so far as to bash in the wall with a crowbar. After reading that, My Oxford Year was the complete opposite in tone. Not entirely, as there is some sadness, but not to the degree of the former book. If the latter were a movie made twenty years ago, the lead character would most definitely be played by Hugh Grant. As I learned upon finishing it, a movie is most definitely a possibility. And now onto Carnegie's MaidSo far, so good.

Saturday morning, Mr. Peck went fishing in spite of predicted rain.
Mrs. Peck did not go fishing, but she did go out in her kayak, particularly when the former sent a photo of a Lotus flower to the later. In spite of the sprinkles, well a girl does what a girl has to do.
There was a scad of them across the lake on the Southern Oaks side, however, I've yet to master photography from the seat of a kayak, so this will have to suffice. The rain did not help even though minor, and I am so happy to report that we were nice and cool! The RedWinged Blackbird love to hang out in the reeds.
Although I've got a waterproof tote bag where I keep my camera, I used an additional plastic bag inside of that, making getting it out and returning it a bit of a chore that will take practice.

For a few moments we've had sunshine and I thought I might go swimming now, however, as is often the case, the sky can go from blue to gray in minutes so that may not be happening after all. I am watching a Great White Heron fly across the lake outside my window as well as a woman in a row boat and a man swimming alongside her. They are heading to shore, it appears, to beat the storm.

Ahh...summer in Florida.

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety