Saturday, December 12, 2020

An Adventure in Two Parts

 Every adventure is not just about the two of us because generally something of our friends and family are along for the ride, whether they know it or not. In this instance, two friends helped me tremendously, although it would be news to them. A few days before our trip, Carolyn was wearing her Uggs one chilly evening, and it was then that I remembered that I, too, have a pair of Ugg boots, realizing how handy they would be on this cold camping trip. And boy was I right, as I slipped them on first thing in the morning to make my trek to the bath house. I wore them on the trip, as you will see shortly, mostly because they are hard to pack. Speaking of packing, I've learned a thing or two about having an organized cooler. Fantastic, right?

More often than not we have bacon and eggs for breakfast while camping, but this time I thought I'd mix it up and make sausage balls now that I have a working oven. At least 35 years ago, my friend Jeanette wrote out the recipe for me on a cute little card and, of course, I still have it.

Thanks Jeanette and Carolyn for being the inspiration for two things that worked in my favor!

We left Orlando in a light rain, not the way we like to start a camping trip, but knew that it would soon blow away as the promised cold front moved in. To tell you the truth, I still can't recall how I got the idea, but for a bit of time I've been thinking of getting a new paddle with the money I earned from the calendar contest which came in the mail a few weeks ago. I plotted a course to take us to Engage Pickleball in Oxford, Florida, just a few miles off the last exit on the Turnpike. When we purchased our paddles back in February we bought what they sold at Dick's, but no one there knew a thing about them so I figured, why not go to a place where they are experts? Finding it with ease, we did not know what to expect,

however we were not surprised to find friendly people because that is a lot of what pickleball is about. Nice folks. I explained my wants and this woman whose name I regretfully failed to register, picked four paddles for me to hold. 

The good news? She picked them from the bins on the ground that were probably clearance. I, for one, love a good clearance sale. Paying about half what my other paddle cost, I'm now the owner of a new, ahem...pink paddle. And for those of my friends who are also suffering from OPD, this game we saw will bring a smile. (we did not buy and don't want!)

Unfortunately it was still raining so trying the paddle out on the adjacent courts was not an option. While in the shop a coach came in and gave us some pointers which we appreciated. As well,  the owner of the five year old company told us all about how the company came to be, their explosive growth and plans for the future. Very interesting stuff. Back on the road, I plotted a route from there to the campground under leaden skies.

Traveling through mostly rural areas, including the Goethe Forest where the road was a ribbon through the towering trees. Plus, the clouds were dissipating as we drew closer to Chiefland.

We stopped at the only country store we came across.

Asking Bruce how the grill looked, he said he wasn't sure, but the bathroom wasn't much. Glad I stayed in the car!

Before too much longer we arrived at the park, locating spot number 24. Although there are loads of photographs online to preview spots, oftentimes the best ones are already reserved a year ahead by Northerners wanting to escape the cold. Fortunately this one was just fine, and looked like this when we arrived. 

It was beginning to be a bit chilly by now, but with full sun, the set up was actually pleasant for a change. No rain or extreme heat to wear us out!

All set with small quilts for our laps as we knew the cold was coming! After a quick lunch of tuna sandwiches, we took off exploring to learn what this campground had to offer. Would there be manatees? Would we see deer as others reported? 

First stop was the large spring area where some folks were diving in the 72 degree spring water.

The spring runs for a bit until it dumps into the Suwannee River, a name that is famous in Florida as part of our state song. There is an 800 foot long boardwalk adjacent to the spring run, proving wonderful views of both the water and the Cypress forests. Some folks were floating along, heading towards the river.

I took the boardwalk to the end, awed by the beauty I discovered. Oh my it was pretty. Plus, with no humidity, the air was crisp and cold, such a welcome change.
Registering at the gate, I asked the attendant what sort of birds could I expect to see? Vultures, and lots of them was her answer. She was not exaggerating as there were dozens and dozens of them roosting in the Cypress trees. (more on that in another post)

It did not take long to see the park's namesake...manatees in the crystal clear water! (lower left)

Blue Springs near Orlando is known for having loads of them in their spring run which you can view close up. These you have to work for, but it was super worth it. Our friends told us this morning that there were over 300 this past Saturday at Blue Springs! We, on the other hand counted 12 within sight. The bright blue sky, the clear water, the changing colors on the trees, what a sight! 

Eventually I returned to our spot and as the sun was going down it got colder and colder. On this trip I had Bruce take a few photos of me, including this one showing my crazy outfit trying to stay warm enough to make dinner.

 

Oh look, more family along on the trip! The dress was a gift from Nancy, and the hat is handmade by Matthew! What I'd put on were some Uniqlo HEATTECH leggings which are fantastic, should you be looking for something both well made and inexpensive. Plus, they sell them for both men and women. They saved me on this trip, that's for sure.

Our Mother was along on this trip as well as I made an old family favorite, or at least a standard, Slumgullion for dinner. A few of my sisters might be aghast at me saying it was a favorite! That was our name for it, but I'm well aware that others call it goulash. Using what I had at home, cans of V8 made the sauce and it worked just fine. Biscuits cooked in our famous oven from Fallon. Not only is it great for baking stuff but it works well for keeping things warm too.

I tried having simple things on the menu this trip as I knew it was going to be so cold, making it harder to prepare complicated meals. Not to mention it gets dark so early this time of year. 

And, it was, just as cold as forecast. 

Before climbing into our tent with a heater and a warm sleeping bag, we sat by one of the many campfires built by Bruce.

We went to bed as happy campers (!) having had both an excellent shopping adventure, as well as the wonder of being out in nature. One of the things I most like about camping is that it is, while not hard, presents challenges we don't get at home. Some older folks do puzzles to keep their minds sharp--me, I'd rather go camping!

And yes, there were lots of stars!

your friend,


Gail



















No comments:

Back at the Homestead