Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Second Time Will Be the Charm

Using the beautiful orchid Pat and Ruth brought over for Thanksgiving, I tried something new. Just when I thought there was not a single photograph that I could take differently, I put it in front of one of the lit lamps in the living room, and I kind of like the effect. How about you?
Speaking of Pat, although he was fine and dandy on Thanksgiving, the following day he was not. Abdominal pains along with some chest pains sent him to the Emergency Room at Florida Hospital. Fortunately he was not having a heart attack, instead they found some blood work that was out of whack which required hospitalization for some days.

Monday I was unable to go to see him because I finally made it through the whole session at Days for Girls. One thing after another has prevented me from participating like I would have liked to, so this month nothing was going to stand in my way. I sat next to Leslie who is an unreal sewist. Oh my goodness. She is pictured in the lavender top on the left.
In her arms are two more quilts for the Pulse project which she agreed to take home to attach the binding. I agreed to do two as well, especially after Leslie told me how to do it all by machine. Generally we sew the last part of the binding on by hand because it looks nice, however, as she pointed out, we have no way of knowing how people will use them, or wash them, for that matter, so machine binding it is. Straight away I went home and tried it, and by golly, not horrible for my first attempt.
If you can imagine, in our small group there is the Gail that you know, Leslie's last name is Gale, and there is yet another Gail, pictured below in the light gray top.
I especially wanted to go because we won't be meeting in December since everyone is so busy. Our team, to date, has made 729 feminine hygiene kits for Malawi this year, which sounds pretty darn impressive to me. :)

Waking up during the night, it occurred to me that it would be silly to wait until Christmas to give Pat and Ruth the quilt I made them. Perhaps it would cheer Pat up? I just went hunting for a photograph of said quilt with no success on the finished product. It was the one I started cutting out when we were having the floors installed. Starting the layout here, back on October 27.
So, good thing it was all ready for my visit which, was a very good one with Ruth and her Dad, Jack in attendance. He was on this room.
At the end of a hall, it was as far from my parking spot as it could be. I needed the exercise! Before leaving I saw this photograph on the wall.
No, I do not know this nurse, but what struck me was her name tag, just like the one I lusted for while I was a student. Only after graduating could you wear such a tag. Then too, she is wearing a pin, which was also something we did way back when. Because this is what I learned to emulate, it is often very difficult to me to adjust to healthcare workers dressing in, basically, pajamas.

"Lemon tree very pretty and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat." Do you remember that song? Recored by Peter, Paul and Mary, in 1962, I think of it every single time I ride by our neighbor's lemon tree.
It never ceases to amaze me how we remember song lyrics but ask me something else about when I was 9 years old and I will go completely blank!

I neglected to show you this adorable little ornament Matt and Tom brought home from the Quilt Museum they visited while vacationing in Japan.
How cute is this? I know the answer....very, very cute! So, you see the fabrics piled high on my sewing table. Well, that's what happens when you are making a patchwork quilt that requires loads of different fabrics! I must tidy it up soon. Early this morning I got it pinned together,
Because I have not left the house today, the quilting is done!! (Not in the picture, but I swear it is.)
You might be wondering just why I have not left the house on the first day of December. Well, 4:00, yesterday afternoon, I went for round two.
About twice as long as my last visit, the incision hopefully will stay together this time and NOT become infected again. It was super sore over night, but with my only activity sitting in my chair quilting, it is pretty good now. I purposely vacuumed yesterday, so I could keep bending at the waist to a minimum once I went back under the knife. Today I'm babying it, hoping that the second time will, indeed, be the charm. For those who did not see the previous post regarding this, it is only a basal cell skin cancer so no worries!

On the weather front, it has been miserably hot here, with me finally giving in and turning on the air conditioner. What is a girl supposed to do when it is 85 degrees on the last day of November? Then too, this morning the paper had a story on how dry it has been; last time it was this dry was 1967! Allegedly a cold front is coming in, with temperatures dropping about 12 degrees. I'll let you know.

Taking it easy,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety