Sunday, March 17, 2019

Time Keeps on Slippin, Slippin...

And so it does. The brave face I wore all week fell apart this morning during the church service, however, I've now got my wits about me and so I carry on. Rather than this being a sad post, let us celebrate life instead. Shall we? And what better way than to show you this Opposum I saw roaming behind the house yesterday? Before you think I've made a spelling error, I've learned that indeed this is the correct spelling because a Possum is a whole other animal in parts of the world. Care to know more? Click here.
Before our unplanned trip to California, I'd written that in my next post I would show you the owl that came to visit, and I mean that seriously because when first I spotted what I thought was an owl, turned out there were two way high in the tree.
Don't know if they understood me when I had a little chat with them, but before long, the smaller of the two flew down on a branch just behind our place, staying there long enough for not only a photo shoot, but I had time to go and get Bruce so he could say hello!
Bright sunlight, so not the best for a photograph, but fun nonetheless! I've not seen them since in case you are wondering.

Springtime, the season of renewal for most living things, is in evidence everywhere I looked this week. Not yet in your part of the world? Keep the faith my friends, it is coming! Can't be stopped really.
 March in Florida means a glorious time for azaleas, some like the pretty little tree by the tennis courts, and some bushes covered in blooms.
Bougainvillea bushes are exploding everywhere in vibrant color.
We may not have Cherry trees but we are blessed to have other lovely flowering trees including my favorite yellow Tabebuia that leaves a yellow carpet on whatever the surface is below, including grass,
and you guessed it, the lake behind our house.
The tree from which they fell cast a remarkable reflection on the lake too.
During our time away though, most of the blooms have fallen but there's always next year to enjoy the show, or so we hope. That's about all we can do, isn't it? Speaking of trees, I've yet to show off our new little tree Bruce planted in our garden area.
Called a Japanese Fern Tree, the only thing about the name that is authentic is the tree part. It is neither Japanese, nor a fern, but I will say that it is cute and I expect it to grow quickly. And why is that Gail? With a floodlight on the second floor beaming on it all night, well, 24 hours of light can't hurt, right?

Soon after our return from California last Saturday evening, Dave and Michelle arrived bearing gifts, including this lovely orchid along with about seven different single desserts from Lucky's Market.
An orchid is such a thoughtful gift because it truly is the gift that keeps on giving, blooming time and time again. That said, I was delighted too with a lovely bouquet of colorful flowers that Bill and Fallon showed up with later in the week.
Pam invited me to a sewing expo in Lakeland, saying she would drive and with an offer like that, I could not resist.
Turns out, unlike quilt shows I've attended in the past, this one celebrated all things needle related which made it very interesting indeed. We saw so many lovely and inspiring things, including this cool work done by a Tampa guild. Wall hangings with silk squares on hand dyed fabric, they were beautiful to behold.
Initially skeptical, as we toured the entries under the theme of our National Parks, our skepticism soon turned to downright amazement at the creativity and skill of the work we saw. Using all sorts of different techniques, this artist made a mosaic with tiny squares of fabric to depict a scene from one of the Alaska parks.
 Sadly, my photograph does not do it justice, but you get the idea. Fabric anyone?
Instead of braving the nightmare that is I-4 for our return journey, we took to the back roads which took a bit longer (or maybe not), and enjoyed a stress free ride. Heading down to Lakeland we saw traffic heading into Orlando backed up for miles and miles and miles. No thank you!

If that weren't enough stimulation for the week, Mr. and Mrs. Peck went to the Winter Park Art Festival for the first time in years. Something of a miracle that we found a parking place right off late Friday morning. I am a sucker for glass, although not so much as willing to spend $1,000 + for any of these beauties.
Arriving at church this morning I felt sure I was going to have to turn around and go home because all of the parking spots were filled everywhere I looked. My Sunday miracle is that, with diligence, I found a spot, or maybe it was divine intervention? What with a big group of the men, including Bruce, working at Boggy Creek Camp, and the art festival, our pastor joked that there were more folks in the choir than the congregation!

I needn't remind you that over the past eleven years I have taken a lot of photographs. In all those years I can think of one other time that I was photographing something and ended up with more than I expected. One such time was a day while in the "peacock neighborhood" and I took a shot of a male and female peacock walking down the road. Lo and behold, when later I looked at my images, there was a raccoon running across the street the other way in the shot! Loved that image, although I probably can't find it now. Anyway, the other day I walked down to the big lake on my way to deliver some beans to Susan. Not just any beans mind you, but KC Masterpiece beans that are hard to find and scrumptious. Anyway, I was looking for the white pelicans who were nowhere to be found. Sadly, I think they are gone for another year. Nonetheless, as I stood lakeside, I began hearing a loud bird call. Scanning the tall pines for a bird, I freaked out when I saw a bald eagle on a branch, presumably eating a fish. I did what I typically do as I walked closer, taking shots in cases it flew off. Well, I got fairly close, at least within my camera's range, and got what I hoped would be good enough. Surprise!! I was stunned when I looked at the image later on because,
I never even noticed the juvenile eagle!! I guess it just goes to show you that it is easy to focus on one thing while ignoring the wider picture. You think?

When a loved one dies, it is hard to keep going as if nothing has happened,  however, it is what we must do isn't it? Sunrise to sunset, day after day after day.

"Time and tide wait for no man." (origin uncertain)

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

A Low Level of Anxiety