Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Doing All That We Can

Oftentimes, once I know the route we are taking, I will read aloud from the iPad. Sometimes, merely facts or trivia that interests us, and other times it is full articles. While searching for tent info, I came upon the Popular Mechanics website, read up on the tents and perused other articles. In particular one caught my eye, however, the actual reading of said article had to wait for the drive home. What, pray tell, was the article about? Cremation. Yup, a very long article that I'm including as a link in case you are interested in what happens during cremation. Maybe not the cheeriest subject, but definitely one that most everyone will have to face sooner or later. Most astonishingly to me were the statistics of how fast the industry has grown.

Which brings me to today's title....

Rarely do I mention it, but darn I'm still sad about Carol's death eight months ago. That event is the inspiration for my newest life motto.....do all that you can, while you can. Thus, hopping in the car for a day trip or longer is something I'm keen to do any day of the week. Of course it keeps me from my blogging, but that's okay too. I can always catch up using my photo library and that's what I'm doing in this post.

Since last we met, we've purchased a new bike rack, as well as a new kayak rack for Bruce's car, which is working beautifully following the major repair. The previous rack he had was just too difficult to load anymore, but the new one, well, it works like magic! Here's something crazy....the way Bruce became aware of it was while watching some YouTube videos on kayak loading. Well, if you've ever watched, you will understand, one video runs into the next. Thus, one came up for a product from a company called Malone and, well the rest is history.
It was only a shame he did not use it over the weekend when he went camping with some guys from church. Woo hoo! He did get to use the new quilt!
On the home front I cut out hundreds of pieces for a new scrappy quilt, mostly in blues. At the same time I listened to a radio broadcast of the FSU football game which resulted in a win. Not just a win, but better all around play making me very happy. It's been some time since I listened, rather than watched, and I'd forgotten how enjoyable it is.
I put them together in pairs to sew together, and then those are sewn together, and so on, until you have a quilt.
I'm ashamed to admit that although I gave my big scrappy quilt to the Hurricane Dorian relief, I've missed it, so am beginning anew. Speaking of the Bahamas, following the church service I joined others to fill bags of food to send there.
I was actually the rice person in front of the gray tub but asked my fellow workers if I could shoot a few photos quickly. There were three lines of folks all doing the same...rice, lentils, dehydrated vegetables, and salt went into the bags which were then vacuum sealed further down the table.
Even the younger children helped.
By the time we were done, we packed 12,000 meals. (only some boxes are pictured)
The columns and steps are done and look super good, just in time for a wedding this past Saturday.  I only wish Bruce had been at church instead of in the Seminole State Forest when he was publicly thanked for the project. Of course, had he been there he might just have blushed because he is so humble. I'm the one always bragging on him. :)
Moving onto to some cool things I've seen of late, this one tops the list. While the fellow was demonstrating how to use the new bicycle rack at Orange Cycle, it was hard not to notice this fantastic piece of street art across the street. Isn't it so neat?
The Wood Stork returned for a day,
as did the otter who ran along the shoreline right out back!
Another lovely sunrise, and the good news that we've had a little cold front come through!
Today is the first day that I've had on long pants since who knows when? Yesterday was not chilly in the slightest, but it was less humid and the temperature rose only to 84 degrees signalling progress.

Monday, after doing errands a good part of the day, we finished the day by deciding to visit Lake Griffin State Park just north of Leesburg in the morning. We'd planned to go there a few weeks ago, changing our plans at the last minute to head to Ocala instead. Driving north on 441, our first stop was a drive through at a former trailer/RV park that is becoming a space for tiny homes. Wow, there were some very cute ones there, quite a few more than the last time we explored the sight. That said, this set up was pretty darn cute and I suppose an original tiny home before the notion became so cool. These folks take their retro vibe seriously.
The park is a little more than 50 miles away, taking far longer to get there than we anticipated, mostly because nearly all of those 50 miles are through developed communities. Sitting right on 441, you make a right hand turn into the park and are almost immediately transported to another world.
Unlike some park where Pine trees are plentiful, here there are Live Oak trees, and plenty of them. As well, there is a river that flows out to Lake Griffin, one of the lakes on the Harris chain of lakes. Lake County bears that name because there are MASSIVE lakes seemingly everywhere. In a first for Bruce, there was a chute like space to launch your boat.
And off he goes!
I entertained myself with a walk in the woods,
where I saw the usual type vegetation, as well as a few interesting mushrooms.
Additionally, I finished a novel and chatted with the British family sharing the park with me. From Northern England, they had spent time in Orlando before heading to a more peaceful location of our region. One other thing I did was visit the "big tree", the parks claim to fame. How big is the tree? HUGE.
When Bruce returned we had a picnic lunch and before heading home I showed Bruce the "tree" that claims to be the second largest Live Oak in Florida. Where is #1 you ask?  Near Gainesville is where. I had him take my photo in front of the tree to give you a notion of how gigantic it is.
Although I looked and looked, I could not find the actual dimensions, but believe you me, there are eight connected trunks and a canopy that seems to go on forever!

Heading back home, we discussed how grateful we are that we could have a leisurely day together, unlike most of our life when Bruce worked, and worked, and worked. And of course, I read aloud the cremation article.....

Doing all that we can, while we can.

your friend,

Gail

No comments:

Back at the Homestead