Sunday, May 24, 2020

Another Post, More Birds

But I'm not beginning with birds, so there!

Apparently I overestimated my jigsaw puzzle skills because the one I'm working on is giving me fits. If only I could get the entire frame down, surely that would spur me on to more of the interior! I'm thinking because I have some pieces wrong, I can't even get the peacock together. The peacock for crying out loud! Oh wait, I threw in the towel on another puzzle recently. I have no skills!
As you can see, there's just something wrong with the bottom and don't get me started on the top! Bruce, having been asked to join me, is having no part of it. If I'm having trouble now, who knows how I will sort through all of the trees.
I loaned Susan my other new puzzle and she is having far greater success, whether it is due to skill, or an easier puzzle,  I can't say for sure. Probably the former. It's a darn good thing I don't need the table any time soon!

We did something very daring last night, or that is what it most certainly felt like. We went out to celebrate Bruce's birthday with our Orlando family at La Fiesta, a nearby Mexican restaurant.
The servers all wore masks, and we were seated in a back room, far from others. Let me tell you, it was fun being with everyone again. We had a grand time, eating and drinking, with Michelle and Fallon convincing Bruce to do a shot with them. There was a fried ice cream cake for him, as well as the servers singing bit while he wore a Sombrero! Some of you will be reading this with horror, but it just felt right to us. As we left the restaurant, the sky was beautiful. As an aside, the building pictured is the local Winn Dixie, once a very long time ago, an A&P where my brother Pat worked as a bag boy!
Rain continues to elude us although the sky today is gray, if I had to guess we will get no rain. The other night, with the clouds pictured below, I was sure rain was imminent, but alas, it was not to be.
The water level in the lake continues to recede, however, the ducks seem to be happy with the new development, resting along the banks. Our Wood Duck family continues to thrive, that is the original one. Growing by leaps and bounds, their colors are developing, and I think I can now predict which ones are male and female. (female on right)
One day, the duck above will look like his Daddy with the brilliant colors and patterns of the male.
Following hitting the publish button on my last post, I went bird watching out back, in particular checking on the Woodpecker nest. Oh boy, was I excited to see this.
At the same time, a Pileated Woodpecker showed up on the bank below which is very uncommon.
I wish it were in better light, but you do what you can do when birds appear like magic!

The other morning, while walking home from the pickleball court, I saw lots of hawks flying around overhead, then a couple flew into each other, whether in play or something else, I have no answer. Eventually one landed in some good light and I'm thinking perhaps it is a young one. The man-made world may not be operating in the normal mode, but the birds don't know it is a crazy time, going about their business as usual.
In that same vein, before leaving last evening, when I was supposed to be drying my hair, I noticed something in the tree outside the window. By that time the wind had picked up a great deal and it was hard for me to actually hold still enough to get this shot of what I'm thinking is an immature Great Blue Heron, but don't quote me on that.
Another challenging lighting situation but I don't suppose you care so much about that. Or, do you?
One thing, or so it seems to me, that people have been missing is not only hope for the future, but things to look forward to. Perhaps I'm wrong, but in the early days of "safer at home", I had the opening of my orchids to look forward to. Every morning I would check to see whether another bud saw fit to open and grace me with beauty. While others have more beautiful displays, I have not been disappointed with my bounty.
Which Michelle added to when she gave me another orchid for Mother's Day. While it is not technically mine, Matt and Tom had the wonderful succulent garden, second shelf on the right, sent to Bruce for his birthday, leaving me a happy beneficiary. Another blessing this Spring, pandemic or not, is watching our tiny tree grow, and grow, and grow! This post, written on March 17, 2019 turns out to have been a bit prophetic--I wrote that I thought it would grow quickly, but even I am shocked when I compare the two photographs. Even if clicking on links is not your thing, this one time I suggest you make an exception.
Before long we will be having to trim it in order not to impede our neighbor's view!

A while back David asked me if I would take over the Lake Pineloch Community facebook page, hoping to build some traffic through photography. My arm needed no twisting. Because I am such a prolific picture taker, there is more than enough to go around. That said, generally I don't post on that page what I've put in my blog because, well, I just don't. I've been tempted to put one of the photos below on there, but you have been my faithful readers and I want you to be able to say that you saw it here first. And what, pray tell, is this build up about?

This:
The parents are busy feeding, back and forth they go. I can watch them out my window right now in search of more food to bring to their hungry nester. I'm thinking this, brought on another trip, is a bee?
Isn't that exciting and worth the build up? I can feel that you share my enthusiasm! While others on the web have greater photographic skills, it would be hard to find as many who derive the same pleasure that I do from watching nature unfold before my eyes, day in, and day out. Or is that too presumptuous? Forgive me.

Another post, another gentle sunrise from this morning.
Send those jigsaw puzzle hints my way, will you?

your friend,

Gail





No comments:

Back at the Homestead