Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Taking the MINI Cooper Out for a Workout

Wow, September already. How did we get here? A day at a time is how. Have the months flown by for you as they have for us, or is time standing still? Stores are already bringing out the Christmas stuff, but what will it be like this year? Just today I learned of a young father who drowned both himself, and his 19 month old son, following an argument with his wife. This happened not all that far from here and the woman who made us aware of this tragedy wrote something to the effect that people are hurting, both financially and mentally, in part because the future is so uncertain at the moment. It broke my heart, yet it did not surprise me because I've been expecting this sort of thing from the beginning of lockdown. What more is there to say except that I hope and pray that this is an isolated incident that just so happened during the time of Corona.

In better news, one of my photos was selected for the annual historical calendar here in the city of Orlando. Several months ago I mentioned it, so I thought I'd follow up with both that news, and the selected photo.This is the first time I've entered in a few years so I was grateful to be chosen; which month will be news to me when the calendar comes out.

Let's see....it's been some days since last I wrote a post so what have you missed? I know, one morning we drove to Sanford to check out their pickleball courts which was super fun. They are very nice, and this is but one of two parks where they have courts!
Again, it makes me crazy to think Orlando has only an indoor facility and some part time courts that are set up in a roller hockey rink in a very part time manner no less.
As such, I wrote to both the city and county regarding this lack and was pleased to receive replies from both of them. While I was not quite as pleased with their answers, there are some plans in the works. Sheepishly I admit that I got one thing wrong in my emails and that is the exact name of the park I suggested they think about using for pickleball courts. Calling it Fiesta Park when the true name, as I discovered yesterday, is Orlando Festival Park. Duh! Nevertheless, I'm still sold on that location because it is underutilized and is convenient to downtown. While we are super fortunate to have our lined courts to play on, it is a distinctly different feeling playing on the real thing as we discovered for ourselves when we got up the nerve to accept the Sanford players invitation to join them. Yikes were we nervous because they are all far superior players, however, they were kind, making us glad we went for it. 

Other than that, on Saturday I drove, for the very first time in over three years, FAST. Since Bruce's retirement, he's been our driver pretty much everywhere we go, including two cross country trips. For the most part, especially during Covid, the MINI has sat idle, however, as I discovered on Saturday, she's still got it in spades! And while I thought I might be nervous, driving to Cocoa was a good test, and dare I say I passed with flying colors? I think I will. 

Following are some scenes from the beach that day, including, you guessed it, a few birds.
It was pretty much a perfect day with mostly sun, warm water, and just the right amount of waves, especially as the day progressed, to jump around in. And while some folks are nervous about going in the water, for me going to the beach is about immersing myself in the ever changing surf. Of course I do love wandering too because I never know what I will see.
Loads of businesses may be struggling but as is always the case, others are surging and in this instance it must be sign makers who are crazy busy. And yes, people were cognizant of social distancing from what I witnessed.
I was puzzled by the above bird because I can't remember ever seeing an Ibis at the ocean, but according to Cornell, this is most likely a juvenile, a fact I imagine is not in the least interesting to most folks, if Bruce's reaction is any indication. I sent him some of the photos I took and he was bold enough to admit that the birds didn't do much for him. Thus, I know that I may be just a tad more enthusiastic on the subject than say, most of you?
Which brings us to pickles, or the lack thereof. Should you have thought I was exaggerating....
Occupying a good bit of my time was finishing the quilt. Here the binding is being sewn on the front of the quilt and although there are few quilters that read this blog, I'm here to tell anyone who will listen that using the paper towel roll was the bomb! Although not pictured, it is on the floor. (btw, there are 2,176 pieces in this quilt!)
Okie dokie. Binding attached on the front and now comes the thread and needle time. Except, try as I might, I could not thread my needle, so you know who came to the rescue. I ended up using twice as many.
This step took a seriously long time but with the help of pickleball videos and the complete opposite, hours of Indian Matchmaker, helped me get to the end!! I'm thinking it was nine hours and well worth it.
So now it is done, except for one thing. I'd neglected to plan for finishing it really because instead of searching ahead of time for a dust ruffle that would work, or make that the new term, bed skirt, the look was underwhelming.
Truth be told, this was a little a painful after all of this time, however, I'm working on rectifying the problem. First I got rid of the big fat green pillow, followed by a search for a navy blue bed skirt in a few stores. A waste of time, but I gave it a shot, wearing my mask of course, because we are bound and determined to buy local whenever possible. That was not my first thought though after auditioning different colors from the quilt, after which I'd decided on tiny white polka dots on navy fabric that I'd hoped to buy from Hobby Lobby. Not so fast Gail!
There were some blues, just not ones I wanted which is what led me on the further search. As it stands, I'll show you how I solved this problem in my next post. I was working on it when I thought to myself--self, you need to write instead. And here I am doing just that!

While I wish that I could write that it is getting cooler, I can't, however, after a lengthy conversation with Jonathan, Austin is far worse when it comes to heat. Holy cow, day after day of over 100 degrees! In a silver lining kind of way, he said he is glad to be working from home and missing the 15 minute walk to his car every day following work. Imagine how hot the interior must be!! No, don't, it sounds too hideous. We are grateful that the hurricane missed us completely, but of course, mourn for those in Louisiana who have to deal with the aftermath. Not to mention no electricity for air conditioning! 

We felt a massive sonic boom on Sunday night, so much so that it rattled the sliding glass doors, when the booster returned to Earth. That was interesting to say the least. There's been plenty of rain too, so the drought from earlier this year is officially a thing of the past. With all that rain there have been some amazing sunrises of late.
My lens was fogged somewhat with humidity, but as I kept wiping and looking NE, wow!
Looking at the lake out the window just now, I am ever so grateful to be living here, healthy and happy during these strange days. Oh how I wish it were the same for others, but that is a mystery that cannot be explained, unlike the 90 minutes of Endeavour where they figure everything out! That show is so good. As was the novel I just finished, Sisi, on loan from Ann. I finished it just before going to sleep and could not wait to wake up in the morning and do some research on the topic. 

Recently I stumbled upon a blog post entitled, "How to Write a Good Blog Post" so I read it. Where was that 13 years ago? And yet I carry on.....

your friend,

Gail












3 comments:

Donne Bitner said...

Gail I always enjoy your blog but just one tiny correction. You said Cocoa but you really meant Cocoa Beach
I lived in Cocoa Beach for 30 years so I have a duty to clear confusion between the mainland Cocoa and the beachside Cocoa Beach!
There I feel so much better and the fact that no one cares doesn't matter!

Gail Peck said...

Ha ha Donna! Way to go. Indeed, it is like folks saying they are coming to Orlando when what they really mean is they are going to Disney World, 25 miles away from downtown. Actually, while I drove 520 so was in Cocoa, my destination was Cocoa Beach. How's that? :)

lcrenovation said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Back at the Homestead